Monday, December 13, 2010

Hola from Mariano Roque Alonzo!

Hola everybody!
 
Had a good and interesting week. Really hot, and fairly different, but an all in all great experience. I forgot my planner for the notes on the beginning of the week, but I think I can remember most of it. Basically I´m giving day to day reports because I´m having a hard time with the whole journal thing and am falling behind. I plan on catching up, but this will do for now.
 
Anyways. Monday was P-day as always. We went out and bought some requerdo´s (souvenirs). Stopped by the office and got some dearelders sooner than otherwise. Ate another ¨Canadian¨ sandwhich. Elder Sorensen did some more ridiculous stuff. He was a great guy, but a hard comp to work with. Didn´t have too much regard for the rules. It was extra hard due to the fact that we were in a 3some. But I´m just really happy cuz I only had to deal with it for like 2 weeks, instead of him being my new comp or something. lol. Oh, and the big news of the day came in the evening. Got a phone call that said that I would be leaving the area, and going to work with Elder Call in an area called Mariano Roque Alonzo. Its reasonably close to my old area, but its not nearly as wealthy or anything. Elder Lee and Elder Call had been comps before, and Elder Lee said he was a great guy. I was really thankful for that. I was afraid my next comp would be a goof. I´ve heard that second companions are often the hardest just due to the fact that you´re so used to your first comp that when things go differently you don´t know what to do with yourself. So that was a relief. And then Elder Sorensen told me about how highly he thinks of my new area. So that was great too. The wierdest part is that Elder Lee and Elder Sorensen will both be training a new kid. That never happens. But Elder Lee leaves in like a week and a half so nbd.
 
Tuesday we had our last district meeting. Had my last fancy seafood lunch. Got poured on. It rained so hard that we gave up running and just walked home soaking wet. It was fun. Fortunately Marcelo´s baptism still went through even with the rain. It was really good. Had some other non-members there and stuff. Said goodbye to the Zaffras. Elder Lee did the actual baptism. I still haven´t done one personally yet, but I´m not worried at all. Marcello was happy and thats what matters.
 
Wednesday was my last day. Packed up all my stuff. Didn´t forget anything. Said goodbye to all the cool members in the area and took some pictures.
 
Thursday we got up early and headed in to the office. Thankfully we live close so it wasn´t too bad. Said goodbye to Elder Lee. Sad to say goodbye. He was a great guy. Had some funny quirks (of which I´ve especially noticed after talking to Elder Call about being comps with him), but he was a great trainer. We got along, we worked hard, he taught me well. Elder Call´s great too. He works hard, knows his stuff. Good attitude. I think this companionship will go well. Oh, and he knows how to cook. Thats the most important thing. haha. We have ZERO lunches with members in this area so we´ve had to make all our own food. So far we´ve had soup, crepes, omletes. Any easy food ideas would be much appreciated though. I just can never think about what we should make. So yah. Its going to get boring really fast if we have to eat eggs or something every day.  The new area is cool. We share the branch with 2 elders and 2 sisters. The members are good, though we have almost none in our third of the area. LOTS of youth in our ward though. Makes it interesting. For instance the first night we had ward night and played volleyball with the youth. It was suprisingly fun. We have some really good youth aged investigators too, so we brought them and they have lots of great support from the kids in the ward. The only problem with all the youth is that apparently there have been girl problems with some of the missionaries in the past here... So to avoid any potential problems, I´ve started telling people that I may or may not have a girlfriend. hahaha. Fortunately they haven´t asked for any pictures or yet cuz I´m not sure what I´ll do with that, but so far its gone okay. Wish me luck. lol.
 
Anyways...
 
Its been stupidly hot lately. We were at someones house and they have a small shop called a dispensa where they sell drinks and snacks and stuff. Anyways, it got so hot there was a 2L bottle of pop that spontaneously exploded. Its ridiculous. haha. As for groceries now, we have to ride a bus, get them, and then carry them on the bus back. Kind of a pain, but it was expected.
 
Our area also has this cool indian tribe in the middle. Most don´t speak Spanish or Guarani, but Maka. They seem pretty legit. We´ll have to go check it out.
 
So whats up back at home? I was thinking the other day about how technically its December even though its just stupidly hot. When does everyone get out of school? Have a fun holiday for me. I´ll be working! haha. But I´ll be happy to hear about everything that you guys do.
 
Should have a good week ahead of me. There are a couple people that are pretty close to getting baptized. We´re working with this one family thats super cool. The daughter, Araceli, is like a modern day Joseph Smith. lol. Shes 14 and is super legit. Was baptized recently. Now her family and friends will probably be baptized too. Hopefully one of them this saturday. Cool beans.
 
Anyways, somehow I just got through everything way faster than expected. Sorry if its a short letter or something. I guess I´ll just respond to some old DearElders. The temple was actually in my area. We saw it like every day and it was right beside the chaple we met at. Even stepped in a time or two cuz we had to talk to some people at the front desk. We don´t have any bikes which is kinda a bummer. Actually, as far as I hear, there aren´t really any bikes in the whole mission. I think there are 2 areas that have them. Apparently you need to get special permission from the 70 to get them or something. Something like a saftey issue. So thats kinda lame, but oh well. I´m getting my walking exercise. Wearing out my shoes. lol
 
Hope all the basketballs going good. Sounds busy! Oh yah, and I started crying a bit when I heard limewire was gone. Not that I ever used it or anything.... Enjoy the Jack Black/iCarly for me too. haha. Oh, and you can let Jaclyn know that I´m very happy she´s still alive. And thanks Aunt Barb for the letter: Fun to hear about the cousins. Crasy that Jaclyns gettin ready for BYU, Carmens babysitting, and that Stevens already got that chief scout. Kids. Growin up so fast. Makes me feel like an old person. haha
 
Funny thing. I keep thinking about what I would ask for Christmas. Now that its too late. lol. I´m going to see what I can pick up here, and then maybe I´ll ask for some things for my birthday or something. Still haven´t got my package yet though. But I´m pretty excited for whatever it may contain. I´m sure it´ll be great.
 
Anyways, I should probably wrap things up. Letters take longer to send with pictures attached. But things are doing grand. Should have a great week ahead of me, and the past one wasn´t bad either. We´re going to be workin hard, and I´m excited to spend time getting to know this place. I´ll probably be here for a while. But yah. Church is true! Read your scriptures! Be good missionaries! Hope you´re all well and healthy. I´m doing fab. Talk to you all next week!
 
Love ya lots!
 
Elder Humphreys
 
PS. If anyones looking for a long distance relationship, I´m free. Just send a picture of the two of us. Keep those crasy Paraguayans away. haha
 
Oh. And PPS. There are some wierd people in this area. Not used to that. For instance, I met a kid whose Dad is also her Grandpa. Messed up. I´ll let you all figure that one out for yourselves. haha. Anyways. PEACE!

No comments: