Monday, April 16, 2012

Saltos - Week 5

Hola. Hows it going. Glad to hear that you all got home safe and that you`re doing well. Hope you`re all recovered and getting back into the swing of things. Its gotta be a little weird being back after so much time off. Hope you loved it.
 
We had a really good week. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but just great as always. This week we got to do a descent amount of service which was fun, and we also got success as far as teaching and finding goes. So thats great. A good lesson that giving up our time in service, the Lord helps us out to have the time we need for everything else. The sacrifice of service isn`t really so much of a sacrifice at all.
 
Monday we had a little less time to work due to the district meeting we had in the morning. But we were able to get a surprising amount of work done in such short time so that was nice. I also got the great news that a guy that we had found and taught in my last area got baptized. Thats pretty exciting. His name is Maximiliano, and I got to teach him about 2 times before I left the area. Always sad when you don`t get to be there and participate in the moment, but at the same time, really cool to know that I was able to participate and help another person get baptized.
 
Tuesday we had a kind of interesting moment. We had asked somebody a couple of days before if they knew anyone that was going through a hard time or anything and they had given us a referal for somebody that was sick. Bueno. So we went over to look for her on Sunday. Well, it was kind of awkward to find out that she had passed away already, and fortunately her family there wasn`t really interested. Oops. That was kind of weird, awkward and just different to contact a person that was no longer living. Oh well. Maybe we`ll try the house again in a week or two and try and talk to her family. Lunch that day was great. We have a member that just came back from Spain and she KNOWS how to cook. Tuesdays are now a highlight of the week. Had a disapointing moment that day too though. We had planned with Cleverson to go visit his friends. We decided to meet up at 6:30. Well, we showed up at 6:30 and... found out that there was some miscomunication He had said 3:30. Dang it. I felt silly because that was probably my fault. I did realize though that you have mix ups in any language though, so oh well. Guess I better keep practicing though! You need to be able to communicate not only in the best of times, but also over the phone when the recepcion isn`t that good. Still got work to do. Got to chat with Elder Patterson on the phone again. That was nice. Glad to hear that he`s doing well.
 
Wednesday we went to talk to one of our investigators. Well, he`s been in legal trouble in the past. It seems that his family has started getting used to lieing about where he is because we got a bunch of stories over the next couple of days: he`s just out signing some papers, or he`s working in brazil now, all the way to actually, he`s in jail right now. Right now we don`t know who to believe. He seems the most trustworthy of them all, but its hard when his family makes things up. We`ll see how that goes. Pretty interesting getting to teach somebody with problems with the law. In the morning too we got to do a service project. We were going to build a guy a house out of two by fours and a really big tarp, but somebody stole his wood the day before while he was out selling medicinal herbs for work. So instead we got to play in the mud, dig him a ditch, move a giant ant hill full of mean ants, and dig a hole to fix a water line break. All in a mornings work for one of the hardest working districts I`ve ever met. And good fun while we were at it. I felt really bad for the guy. He lives under a tarp with his son so it was nice to be able to help him out.
 
Thursday we had a cool experience where I saw how we can`t always just take things for face value. Somebody gave us a referral the other day. We followed up on that. In the end, the person really wasn`t interested. But we did get another referral out of them, and found somebody that is a lot more interested. Just shows how if at first things don`t go the way you want them to, a lot of the times, the Lord is just setting you up for success somewhere else. Hopefully we can see success with this family .If not, maybe somebody else down that road. That was the high point of the day. Made up for when the youth that were going to leave and do divisions with us bagged at the last moment and we had to find something to do. But, kids will be kids and I think it just taught us pacience and that we need to be ready for anything, and once again, if things don`t go ¨right¨, maybe there is a reason for it. We did in the end get to have our ward council meeting. Something that seems pretty routine back at home, but is something that is really hard for people to reliably do here. I deffinately didn`t go idealy, but at least it got done. hopefully we get to continue with that in the future. Also got to do more service that morning, cleaning up a member families front lawn. I think their favorite part was when I was half heartedly chopping at a dead tree with the ax, and later, they made fun of me for it because they thought I was probably the worst ax user that they had ever seen... they got a good laugh out of it. lol
 
Friday wasn`t the best day... wasn`t sure why, but later realized that it was Friday the 13th. Probably why. lol. But thats how it goes. Good days and bad days. The funnest part was trying to find this said shortcut through the jungle to save a whole bunch of time, but instead, getting laughed at as we went in and out of the forest, never being able to find where the secret entrance to the shortcut was. Better luck next time we hope.
 
Saturday on the other hand was great. Cleaned the church in the morning. It was filthy, but our district of 4 shined again. We got a chance to leave with Cleverson and his friend that baptized him, Fernando. We got to visit his friends that went to his baptism. Awesome. They are cool, and hopefully we can keep the referral chain going. Definitely the most successful day of the week. Then, I had to leave my companion with Cleverson to go do another visit with another member and Fernando. Not the most successful lesson, but great that they were so willing and helpful. Fernando also introduced us to one of his friends, and the day ended smashingly. The only down side was when I very generously offered to buy them all drinks for their hard work, and then upon reaching into my wallet, realized that I had spent all the money I had with me earlier that morning. Dang it. So that was kind of embarrasing as the member had to spot the bill. Lame.
 
Yesterday was good. It was the big soccer game between the 2 main teams, so we talked to a LOT of drunk people. Fortunately almost everyone here are just nice drunks and its never a big deal. I think also being on the Lords errand and doing his work also gets you a little bit more respect and protection which is always nice. Sounds like we`ll be moving this week. The plans are made. Our ward mission leader and his wife are passing through a hard time right now, and so thats no good, but hopefully we can help them over that.
 
Today was normal. Got myself a Paraguay jersey which is pretty nice. Only cost about 10 bucks if you do the conversion, so you can`t lose there. I also realized how many people Ive neglected to write back, so hopefully I can get on that and that nobody feels unloved for my lack of focus and desires to write letters every week. I`ll try and do better.
 
Dad. As far as the school goes, you can sign up for Winter if you want. If not no big deal. Don`t know what you`d pick for classes. Glad you`re feeling better. I liked what you said about your lesson. It reminded me about somthing really cool that I read in the Liahonna in the youth section about Guardian angels. Not something you read about every day, but that is really cool. As for housing, I`m fine with anything. As I said, after being here for so long, my old university house sounds like a luxury palace, so I`m not really worried. Set me up as you will. But thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.
 
But yeah. That was the week. Sorry it wasn`t too exciting. Things are awesome here. As you said, knowing how little time is left, I`m really just trying to make the most out of every day. I really do love it here, and it`ll be a sad day when its all over. I love being a missionary and I know that what we share can really help these people. And theres nothing better than being able to share that message. Hope you have a great week, and talk to you in 7!
 
Love,
 
Elder Humphreys

No comments: