Monday, November 8, 2010

BAD WATER

¡Hola familia y amigos!
This week has been descent for sure. Sorry. My letter might be a little shorter today, cuz I got creative and transfered all my pictures off my camera onto a flash drive, and also tried to attach a couple. Hope you enjoy!
Actually, apparently I can´t attach too many. So I´ll send them off and make a new letter I guess...
Nevermind. Theyre loading. Apparently it´ll take some time. So I´ll tell about the week then.
Monday was chill. P-day is good. Wrote some letters. Shopped. We tried going to pizza hut, but after being ignored for a half hour we gave up and went to another restaurant. Lame. Whatever. The food was good there too.
Tuesday was Elder Lee´s birthday. Apparently he´s a pretty popular guy cuz everybody wanted a little bit of his time. We had district meeting which took up the whole morning, went to a fancy seafood lunch with a member of the ward and the sister missionaries from our ward, and then tried to be productive in the afternoon. Well, some guy needed an interview with Elder Lee which only took like an hour, then we had to go to someones house to give them treats for Elder Lee´s birthday (kinda wierd, but whatever), and then we had ward council, a party at Hna. Kimball´s house (she´s the american lady that works here. Very nice and loves having us over), and then we had to rush over to some members house where they had made Elder Lee 2 pizzas. We almost skipped that cuz it was getting late, but they put in a lot of work, so it was worth it. Anyways, the day seemed kinda unproductive but it was fun.
Wednesday we had lunch at one of the poorest houses in our area. I was scared. lol. Anyways, it turned out that he pretty much went all out for us and the meal was pretty descent. Thank goodness. On that note tho, I accidentally convinced one of the members that we talk to all the time that she wants to make us milanesa de mondongo (not sure if the spelling is right...). Point being, its like breaded/deepfried cow stomach. Oh gosh I´m scared. hahaha.  She says its good but I find it hard to believe. Whatever. I´m going to go into it with as open of a mind as possible. And if I puke everywhere, I´m sure she´ll understand. haha.
Anyways, my pics are loaded. I´ll finish on another email.

This isn´t working so well. lol. Sorry. No pics of Paraguay really. If there´s time I´ll send some. If not, next week. I´ll take a bunch of cool ones all week.
Anyways. The morning of wednesday was kind of a shocker. Not going to lie. But you know, at the same time its not like it was totally unexpected or anything. And so I managed to stay strong and focused. I think about it once and a while, but I´ve been able to not let it weigh me down or anything so thats good.
Wednesday night I also got the exciting news that I´d be going on divisions the next day. Basically the zone leaders split up once a week and go on splits with another comanionship and this was our lucky week. So I had to pack up everything I wanted for the next day, get on a bus and meet my new companion. Fortunately I got the one that speaks English, and Elder Lee got to stay in our area with the Spanish speaking zone leader. lol.
Thursday was really interesting. I got to see another part of the country where things our different. Fortunately it all went well and I enjoyed my time with Elder Burr. The area was quite different. Its kinda like the suburbs of the city I guess and its much poorer there. We had to cross a bridge made of two skinny trees spanning a river full of garbage in our non-hiking shoes. That was fun. We went to see one family who were so poor that they didn´t even have any chairs for us to sit on, and they sleep on the ground with only cardboard for a matress. We told them about tithing and fast offerings and they were perfectly fine with it. Its amazing how humble the poor people here can be. When we told the mother that we fast for 24 hours straight, she laughed and told us that the other week, she went 3 days straight without anything. Crasy. So apparently that won´t be an issue for her. The other crasy thing about the area was that just less than 2 years ago the church was giving out considerable amounts of donations from the bishops storehouse. Well, they considerably cut the expendatures, and it became apparent of who was there for the church, and who was there for the food. The area has whole streets worth of inactive members who never had a testimony and are near impossible to teach, all because the only reason they ever got baptized was for the food. Ridiculous.
Friday. Felt pretty dang sick. I don´t know if it was becuase Elder Burr kept accepting water from the people which probably gave me parasites, or if its like transfered pain from those at home with issues with their gutts. lol There was one glass of water that I had that was most definately from a glass that haden´t been washed for some time. Sick. But i didn´t know how to turn it down. Usually I just point at my waterbottle and say I´m good. But once they had given it to me it was too late. But I had stomach cramps and stuff for most of the next two days. Lame, but whatever. I´ll survive.
Saturday we had lunch with a family that is American. He works at the Embassy actually. Anyways, they´re super cool. For lunch they made me a ¨greenie meal¨ where all the stuff was green. Even the spagetti noodles. I told them how my mom had done that once. But I appreciated it more this time. Sorry mom!
We had buttloads of people lined up to go to church, but only like 1 out of 11 showed up. After he left early we found a guy off the street to come in. Kinda cool. Anyways, our goal this week is to actually get people to keep their word. People say they´ll be home or go to church but they never do.
Anyways, no more time. I´d tell you about our investigators but that´ll have to wait. Things are great. I´m loving my time here. Hope you´re all feeling well. Keep having faith. I was in on the fast too and I feel optomistic. The Church is true!
Elder Humphreys

No comments: