Monday, November 15, 2010

A POSSIBLE BAPTISM??

If someone wouldn´t mind btw, I´m not allowed to write other missionaries, but I got a forwarded letter from Elder Nilson. If you could just say thank you very much. I enjoyed his letter and am thankful for his prayers. Hope things are going well with him, loving the mission and hoping that he´s having a good time as well. I´ll be praying for him and his work as a missionary as well.  His mom sent it on to me. Thanks.

Now that I´ve forgotten for multiple weeks now, I´ll start off by complimenting the pumpkins. They looked super sick, and I know that they always look better in real life too, so good on you all. Elder Lee thought they were sick. I can´t believe they didn´t just automatically win the best trunk for you. We also we´re amazed by those transformer costumes. How sick are those eh? I´m jealous.

One of two biggest new bits this week is that if all goes well, we should have our first baptism! Exciting stuff. Daniel is his name. Don´t know if I´ve mentioned him before. We heard about him as a reference. Had lost his job, was looking for a new direction in his life. We´ve been with him for about a month and I think he´s ready. He got a new job and I was worried he wouldn´t care to talk anymore, but he´s still good and strong. Stopped smoking the minute we taught the Word of Wisdom, and although he´s been all sick since (probably because of it), he hasn´t gone back. He got up and bore his testimony in Elder´s quorum about his daughter (I think she died unexpectedly), and that he believes this is the true church of God. Carries his scriptures around with him and is reading stuff. Seems like a really solid baptism. And I´ll probably be in this area for the next 6 months too, so if he starts slacking I´ll be here to tell him to smarten up. lol. Fun stuff. Its scheduled for this Friday.

Other cool stuff I´ve forgotten to tell you about.... We´re getting cool leather hand made scripture cases. They were like 40 bucks or something, but I got to pick what I wanted. It´ll be like a picture of the tree of life, the mission emblem, christ calling for them to be fishers of men (simon dewey), and a picture of the field being white all ready to harvest. Hopefully they turn out well. I´ll send a picture. Other story... way back soon after I got here, me and an office Elder went and changed my 160 american to Guaranie money, as well as picked up a couple thousand dollars worth for the office. It was crasy. The banks here are full of guards and they´re really uptight. Elder Dailey (the Elder that deals with the money), was kinda freaking out. Fun stuff.. haha.  What else... people are sometimes really ridiculous here... They´re all catholic by tradition, but for instance one person told us she was catholic, but right after said that she doesn´t believe in God or heaven or anything. Its kinda silly. But whatever. Nothing we can do about it.  No exciting food this week. We were scheduled to have breaded cow stomach thursday, but apparently it was kinda expensive or something so we´ll do it some other day. Maybe it was just cuz of the look of dread I gave her when she said we´d have it. haha

Now for this week. Monday. After emails we did our regular stuff, but we also went to this ¨Giant¨ mall. It was kinda cool. A lot like the malls back home, but a little smaller. lol. It felt wierd being in a mall though. Elder Lee was kinda freaking out cuz he hasn´t seen a mall in ages. Kinda sad cuz he ruined it for when he gets home but whatever. lol. There was music playing all over the place, and I heard a lot of some of my favorite songs. That was kinda wierd. Anyways, all we got was some envelops and Elder Lee got some Nike kicks. Funny experience but whatever. It wasn´t really what we thought it´d be.

Tuesday. Chipa died. They re-did our favorite store and their chipa is now way more cheesy. How lame is that. Its not even good anymore. :´( Tried some funny drink called Cocido. It was kinda nasty but whateves. This was the first day that Daniel stopped smoking though, so that was really cool.

Wednesday. Nothing much. We were going to play soccer with the youth, our investigator and his non-member friend. But they didnt show up, so we didn´t play. Kinda lame. We were hoping for reference and whatnot... some other day I guess. Haven´t played soccer once here yet. Kinda disapointing but whatever. Thats not what I´m here for.

Thursday was kind of a shocker. The sister missionaries that we shared the ward with got reasigned to a different area. Wow. We´re not sure exactly why. Might have been because of their stalker. I dunno. lol. Anyways, our area instantly doubled in size. What the heck. I thought we were already doing a lot of walking. Now its just outrageous. They introduced us to some members and stuff, but they didnt really have any good investigators or anything. So its just kinda wierd. Lots of area to cover. We now have 2 of the biggest soccer stadiums in our area tho, so thats kinda cool i guess.

Friday we got a call from some other elders. They asked us to go and give a blessing to one of their investigators brothers in the hospital. First blessing I´ve done in Spanish. Fortunately all I had to do was memorize the 2 lines you need to say to do the anointing. But it was still kinda nerve wracking. It went well in the end though, and we left him a Libro de Mormon. Cool stuff.  Oh. Also I woke up at 6. Found laying unpside down on my bed a fairly large cockroach about the size as in the pic I sent. Wierd cuz I didn´t really freak out. Just brushed him off and killed him in the morning. Sprayed all around my bed with fancy bug repellant stuff tho. lol. Also lost one of our prime investigators that day. Her boyfriend told us to go away for good. Lame.

Saturday. Nothing much, but we taught one guy. He´s got descent English skills. So it was sweet. I got to teach him in English. Its the most I´ve said since being here. He´s super close to baptism, but he can be super illogical sometimes. I explain something super clearly, he understands it perfectly, and then he has the same problem 2 seconds later. But I think we still might be able to drill it into his head. We´ll see.
Sunday went really good. Apparently a guy from the 70 was there. I didn´t know cuz it was in Spanish. lol. But most of the people didn´t understand either cuz he was from Argentina and apparently the accent threw them off. haha. Anyways, the rest of church seemed to be perfectly what Daniel needed so that was sweet. The rest of the day was good. Checked out the Sisters old area and did a LOT of contacting.

Todays just a regular day. Its raining so its nice and cool. Tomorrow´s zone conference. I have a 1 in 3 chance about to see anybody I know in the mission, including Elder Patterson. Pretty chill.
Anyways, thats the week. Enjoy! Hope its all swell back home. Keep up the good spirits! Hope the treatments are going well. Things are grand here! Wish me luck with the baptism. The church is true! Keep it real.
All the Best,
Elder Humphreys

No comments: