Monday, February 7, 2011

It's My Half Birthday


Hey everybody. Its my half birthday today. Thanks for remembering... lol

Just kidding. Anyways. Hows everybody back at home? Things here are doing fabulously. Working hard, getting stuff done and makin some good memories.


Anyways! On to the week! Monday was fun. We went to this restaurant called Paulistas. Its a Brazilian grill set up. Its pretty much the nicest restaurant in the country, and had I not been able to pay with my personal money (it was only like 12 dollars or something) it would have been stupid expensive. Super cool though. I forgot to mention how last week we had just some BBQ´d meat off the street. It is one chunk of chewy meat followed by a piece of straight fat. I almost gagged on the fat, but it makes the meat tasty. Point being, it was the exact opposite here - the nicest meat ever. They just walk around with huge chunks of meat and its all you can eat. If you want it, they cut you of a chunk. Best meat I´ve had since I left. Awesome.

Wednesday I went on a division again. This time I got to go and help out in another area. It went good. The place is super ghetto and is so bad that the misisonaries can´t even live in the area. Anyways, it was fun to see a new place. The heat was ridiculous though. Its called Remansito and its perfectly flat and just into the chaco (the desert half of the country). I got sunburned pretty bad. haha. The chaple is made out of sheet metal, and the font is just a swimming pool basically thats out behind the church. So that was cool to see. The most exciting part of the day was when my companion for the day (Elder Thornton) was feeling sick, and then proceeded to puke his guts out all over in the street. There was nothing I could do so I got the pleasure of just watching it all go down. At least in the end we got a new investigator from it, and now he´s learned to be more careful about the water and food. Fortunately I´ve been blessed with health so far and have been careful to avoid getting sick. Oh, and the 3 Serafini girls (Rocio, Romina and Noelia) got their interviews and passed. And Romina asked for me to be the one to baptize her so that was really cool.

Thursdays we had our quarterly interviews with the President. That was nice. He always asks about my family and how you´re doing. I told them things are good. He told me to make sure that I write my sisters and we all keep in touch. It was good.

Friday was the baptism day. The day was a mess, cleaning the font, baking bannana bread, finding out we didn´t leave it in the oven long enough, and so baking another cake. Inviting tonnes of people to the baptism... then none of them coming. There was a big youth party that evening so noone wanted to show up early for the baptism. But oh well. The girls showed up and so we went ahead and did it anyways with the people we had. It was a really nice baptism. I think they´ll be great members even though they´re young. The family is super cool, and they were a big blessing for us as missionaries, and I think we´ve helped be a blessing for them too. After the baptism there was a huge storm. All the power went out. The party for the youth was ruined (haha. that kind of made me happy due to the irony), and it was raining pretty hard. But we all made it home alive. I think they had a good experience nevertheless.

The last cool thing that happened this week was that Sunday morning we woke up. Fortunately (and kinda strangely), we didn´t have to go pick anyone up for church. That turned out to be a blessing because Elder Call told me he hadn´t slept at all that night because he had been puking, fever, diareah etc. That was a shock because I hadn´t woken up at all. Some companion I am...lol. Anyways, as I´m getting ready, he opened the door to the bathroom and passed out on the floor. I called Sister Madariaga cuz I wasn´t really sure what to do. Anyways, I was just going to get him in bed resting, but he really wanted to go to church. So we got ready, rode the bus (he almost puked on our investigators), and then we stayed for church. What a trooper. Anyways, church was good, and our investigator who was there for the first time said she wanted to bring the rest of her family next week so we´ll see how that goes. She kinda reminds me of an older sister Patterson. haha. Anyways, we had to take the rest of the day off so Elder Call could rest, but it made sense. It was nice cuz I got to read and study extra. Almost done Jesus the Christ. Longest book EVER, but really good. Anyways, he´s still not 100%, but we´re working on getting him back up to full health.  The quote of the day came after I mentioned that he had been up all night ¨blowing chuncks¨ and he said, ¨I don´t like the phrase ´blowing chunks´... its too vague¨ hahaha. There´s lots of ways to blow chunks.

Anyways, sorry to be so graphic. lol. But yup! Things are doing good. I think I must be a walking virus or something though, cuz all my comps are getting sick on me. Oh well. Hopefully I can keep fighting it off. Wish me luck! Things are doing great! Good to hear you all are well. Keep working hard at school! Have fun with the B-ball and skiing! And the work. And the TV. All that good stuff. The church is true! Love you all!

Keep it real!

Elder Humphreys

No comments: