Monday, February 28, 2011

Transfer week comes again

Hola! Hows it going? I{m doing fab. Lots to say. Forgive me for the {´s though. The ´ key is in the wrong spot and its too much of a hassle to work around. lol

We had another good week. Things went well. Last week of changes. This ones been wierd because we know there{s a really high chance that Elder Call could leave, I could leave, or we could both stay. Anything could happen. So thats wierd to think about. But we did our best to keep up the good work and do our best till the end. Some people have a hard time staying focused during the last week. We should find out what happens tonight. Its wierd becuase both me and Elder Call enjoy each others company and like being together, and we both love the area. However, a little change could be nice too. We{ve been together for 3 months now and it seems like its been quite a while now. So we{ll see. Its in the Lord and President Madariagas hands now.

Tuesday we had a Noche de Hogar (FHE) with the Serafini family. We had a good lesson (the parents tried teaching it for the first time), and then we had the activity. We played a game where you have to tie a tie and undue it as fast as you could. Not too bad. But my favorite part actually came at the beginning. We started with a song which everyone was reluctant to do. We{ve tried singing before and no one knows the tune. But we went for it. Well, not going to lie, it was one of the worst songs I´ve ever heard. Everybody seemed to be tone deaf and not know the tune at all. Simultaneously. But I just sang as loud as I could and kept it going as best as I could. It sounded bad. However, the thing that I thought was really great was that it really was the thought that counted. Ya, it sounded bad. But I really thought that it did a great job of inviting the spirit to what we were doing. Thats what I love about the music. We tried our best and the Lord blessed us. I{m just hoping with a little practice it{ll stop being so hard on the ears.....lol

Tried to glue a piece of my shoes back together tuesday as well.... turns out super-glue is really sticky.... almost glued my hand to my shoes. haha. But oh well. I{ve learned. Parents:Don{t let your kids play with super glue. Most of my clothes are holding up pretty good. But they are deffinately starting to show the first 6 months. My shirts are starting to stain, my shoes are starting to wear in places, and the like. But most of it should last. I{ll be sure to send you word in time to get some stuff in the mail if I ever need it.

SPEAKING of which. I got my packages!! It was super exciting. Got them today. I got the small one with the poridge (yum :), as well as the one with all the wrapped presents. I didn{t get it until just recently and so I haven{t had the chance to open all the small little things, but I{m super excited. Me and Elder Call are going to take pictures and open them up when we get home. Awesome. Thanks so much guys! It actually made my day. I was thinkin though... my birthdays about 6 months aways. Maybe you could start thinking now and maybe it{ll get here in time...... hahaha. Just kidding. I{m just super happy it actually showed up. Everyone was starting to make fun of Canada Post and its lack of urgency, and it was starting to hurt my Canadian pride. lol

This week there was a LOT of rain. It was nice, and not nice. It makes it really hard to visit people, because they aren{t really interested in waking up and letting in muddy missionaries, but we did our best. I really enjoyed the coolness on a personal level. So I made sure to put the work first and not pray for more rain, but to enjoy the blessing while it lasted. With the rain has come humidity though. Ridiculous. We bought some cotton candy from a guy off the street and within minutes of taking it out of the bag, it was starting to do that melting thing it does when you spit on it, but just because of all the water in the air.   Also, school started here which makes it harder to find the people you want. But they do school funny here so its not tooooo bad. Its funny to see so many kids out in uniforms though.

We found this really cool investigator this week. I{m excited to see what happens with him. He{s super interested in reading the Book of Mormon and finding out for himself if the gospel is true. He wasn{t able to make it to church this week but he{s really excited to go, and he also really wants us to talk with his family. Sounds like a great person to work with. His name is Hermano Torres and I{m hoping to be able see him start to progress.

We were at Diegos house on Friday and they weren{t super feeling talking gospel that day. Well their dad used that opportunity to teach his kids about life, giving respect, working hard etc etc etc. He likes to talk a lot, and we just had to sit there and watch them fight for almost an hour. They{ve already gotten over it, but its funny how much different fighting is from the spectator position. It seems so pointless and ridiculous. It almost made me want to cry too. The hightlight of the situation being that me and Elder Call got to talk about things like the life of a parent and raising kids and whatnot. Thankfully thats a long ways away, but we got to talk about things he did right, and things he should have done differently, things our parents did etc. It was another instance that just made me super greatful for the parents I was blessed with. All the things I kept thinking from my family were super good, and things that I would want to be able to do for my kids. So that was a cool way to make a lame situation better.

Today was a little strange. President Arnold from the Area Presidency came to talk to all the Zone and District leaders about changes he wanted to make. The mission as a whole has been going through a rough time lately and baptisms have been slumping, and so he came to try and set things right. For me, that meant getting up early to spend the day with some other Elders while Elder Call went with the Zone leader to the office. It sounded like a crasy meeting. Apparently he dropped a lot of cane (something we say that comes from spanish I think. Basically he laid the smack down) about a lot of things. And yet it was still one of the most spiritual meetings ever apparently. I{m kinda sad I missed it. Anyways, there are a lot of changes coming in. Some that I can remember: no more guitars, we{re keeping track of the exact amount of time we spend teaching, we have to spend ALL of our time in our areas and no more p-day travels for mcDonalds or anything. Theres a lot more too. So it{ll be interesting to see. Kinda sad cuz we lose some fun stuff, but I{m glad for it. Should help the mission a lot I think. Exciting to see. The only thing is that the way changes happen, I probably won{t get to see Elder Patterson like I thought I might. Oh well. One day.

Anyways. Glad you had what sounded like a great holiday. I{m doing great. Loving the work! Workin hard to be my best! Love you all lots! Be good missionaries and choose the right!

Love you!

Elder Humphreys

No comments: