Monday, March 21, 2011

Elder Humphreys survives day as Senior Comp...

Hola! Hows it going? Things are doing just fabulous here.

Had another great week. Some good experiences and whatnot. We{ve heard a lot about problems going on around the world with Japan and wars (or maybe just rumors of wars), but the news we get is from unreliable people watching a very unreliable news station. So not really sure what any of the details are. Hopefully everyones doing good. I don{t really care tonnes for the details, but it would be nice to get the info straight. Theres one guy whos got legit satalite and he said there was something like an earthquake in Ottawa. Sounds like a pretty diverse place for an earthquake....lol. At least its helping people to open up to us, seeing some of the signs of the times happen week after week now. Crasy.

But yeah. We had a couple of eventful happenings this week. It started right after we finished writing emails. Walked across the street to this little restaurant place. The same place where I ate cow stomach a week or two ago. Anyways, I just told Elder Call to order me what he ordered.... so we got two plates of cow tongue. haha. It was... interesting. It would have been a lot better if they had taken the tastebuds and such off before serving it, but oh well. We just cut that part off. Its ridiculous how chill I{ve been with the food though. It doesn{t bother me like it would have before. Still don{t like onions though...lol

Oh, just something that I randomly remembered during the week. Yakisoba (sp?). Mmmm. You guys should eat some for me. I think we were talking about cooked cabbage for st. patricks day or something. Anyways. We were like never eating that when I left. You should start again if you{ve managed to get that freezer emptied out yet.

Probably the most exciting part of my week happened on Thursday. We had another division. This time, I got put with a noobie in my area. He{s been here... like less than 3 weeks. Basically speaks very little spanish. Man I was scared! lol. I don{t think I{ve prayed that hard or for that long any other time than that morning. Not only did I have to work around the area and plan the day, but I{d basically have to say everything. Stressfull. And I didn{t have very much faith in my spanish. Anyways, I can testify that God hears our prayers. We survived. Actually, it was one of our most successfull days I{ve had in a while now. We were able to make our visits, and I was able to keep the conversations rolling even though I didn{t understand everything completely. I{m thinking the people must have been going easy on me. It was really wierd having to teach basically all by myself, and now that I can speak alright-ish, its apparent that there is a lot of room for improvement in the teaching aspect. But I think we helped people to progress and did some good work. It was a good confidence builder for me. Really good experience. Not one that I{d want every day though. lol. It was kinda wierd being with a noob though. They don{t really get how things work, and they kindof have a wierd understanding of how things work. But I learned a lot from the guy so it was alright. Elder Vance was his name by the way. Didn{t know any Vances from Canada though. But yeah. I sure don{t feel ready to be a full out Senior comp just yet. But we survived. Thankfully the Lord hears our prayers and helped us out bigtime.

Other notes. We had some lady that we{ve been teaching for a bit now turn us down and try return the book of mormon we gave her. She said that she didn{t like how different it was from the bible and how it has so much about Joseph Smith and stuff. Remembering a quote from preach my gospel, Elder Call asked her who told her that, and then told her that we knew that she had clearly not read the book, because although the beggining of the book mentions Joseph Smith, he merely translated the book. Hopefully she realized how silly she was and actually tries reading it. It was a little funny because she got caught in her lie, but at the same time kinda sad. Its crasy how little people like to read here. If they{d just read the book and pray like we teach them, they would know that its true. Its just really hard to convince people to do that.

Realized the other day that being March, March Madness was probably in full swing. Not that I care whats going on, but it feels like just yesterday me and my roommates were all sitting around watching the games. Wow. Its crasy how time flies.

The other greatest moment of the week was when some members of the ward came out and visited the non-members with us. Nobody does hometeaching here, and its hard for them to do visits and such. Lots of walking. But its crasy how much it helps! We{re working with the Ward coucil with this new 15 families program. Nothing has really progressed until Saturday. But its unbelievable how much progress is made that way. We{ve been visiting and helping these people for ages and in just one visit by the members they moved so far. Its ridiculous. The people just relate so much better with adults and people from their own country. It just really testified to me how important it is that every member do there part as a missionary. I{m sure its the same at home too. I wouldn{t be suprised if baptisms and reactivation of people that have been inactive for years came from just these simple visits. So basically what I{m getting at is that I{d like to encourage you all to do what you can to help the missionaries! They need your help! Almost all of the baptisms come from references too. One guy that we had in church this week is SUPER legit. And its all thanks to a reference from 2 members. Awesome.

Anyways. That was some of the week. Out of time though. We met our main investigators husband this week too finally, so that would be super cool if they could start investigating as a family. We{re all super stoked for Gen con. lol. We get to go to the temple in a week or two as well and so we{re super stoked for that. Mind you, they planed it for april fools day, so it might just be a big joke... but I think they{re serious. Should be super fun. But yeah. Gotta go! But I love ya all. Hope all is going well! Don{t forget to write!! lol. The mission is the best and I{m loving spending so much time doing the Lords work!

Have a great week!

Elder Humphreys

No comments: