Monday, May 16, 2011

Chewing the Fat

Hey, hey, hey. Hows everything going? Things are doing great here. Nothing too terribly exciting happened this week but we´ll see how this goes...

First of all though, sounds like home life is going swell. Sounds like Marissas getting a little bit spoiled here though. I dunno.... iPhones. Whats up with that?! I´m just getting a little bit jealous here....lol. But I´m glad to hear that the party went well. Sounds like a blast. Cool little concert thing and everything. Dad, I liked the email. I´m all down for being the 3rd member in your allstar go-carting team if that every gets ¨rolling¨ (haha. funny?). And I liked the Clash-ness. That was whitty. haha.

But whaaaaaaat? Diana??? That doesn´t wierd me out or anything...... at all. Woah. haha. Its like, I´m not shocked that she´d get married (thats what people do after all...), but uh. Now I feel old. And like... thats gunna be wierd to come home and have a new cousin. That I´ve never met. Thats like, older and not just still a baby or anything (because every baby is the same basically right? lol) But huh. Mind boggleing. But CONGRATULATIONS. Hope everything goes well. Send me a picture? lol. Thats like, going to be the first person that I knew pretty well thats going to be married. Wierd. wierd. Now just nobody else get married and I think I´ll be able to handle it. Especially sisters. Don´t get married. Yet. Huh.

ANYWAYS. Good week. Only ate a couple of gross things. Yesterday I grabbed a big chunk of meat to find out it was just a huge steak sized chunk of fat that they threw on the BBQ. But I assumed that if they had put it on the grill, they must have expected it to be eaten, so I was forced to cut it up into bite sized pieces, prettend chew for a bit, and then just swallow all these chunks of fat whole..... Mmmmmm.... And then I had a pizza today with Tuna and ¨Palmitos¨ on it. Still not sure what the palmitos were, but i think it was just some kind of plant or something. Nothing too crasy.

This week was kind of noisy. This week the country turned 200 years old, and so there was a parade on Saturday. Basically everyone was there. Not to mention every school in the town has to walk in the parade. And the only thing that they do is twirl batons really sissily, and the guys play their drums really loud. And they all spent all week practicing in the streets at night. So it was pretty loud. But cool. The parade was the boringest thing I´ve ever seen, but it made me think of the Stampede parade and then just stampede in general. Wierd to think I´d miss that all that much.

The week was strang ish because we had some really good days and got a lot done, but then we had some rough days. Spent a lot of time walking around and finding nobody home. Having the backup plans to our backup plans fall through. But it did kind of lead to a cool experience. At one point we were all out of ideas, and too a quick sit on the parkbench. Realized that there were a lot of names in the phone of old investigators that we didn´t know, so we started contacting by just phoning random people, inviting them to church, and then asking them where they lived and if we could go visit them. It was kinda awkward, wierd, and a little fun. But after talking to a couple people and using up all of our phone money we had to give up. Anyways, walking through the streets the other day and some lady stopped her motorbike and said ¨Hey. You called me¨. Turns out I had talked to her on the phone. Anyways, now we have better directions to her house, and she said that she liked the church, but just didn´t get baptized because she had to work a lot before, but now she doens´t work sundays. So that might have some promise. We´ll have to see. But it just was an example of something cool that I´ve noticed a couple times this week and a more times on the mission in general. After all of our plans fall and we´ve done everything, we´ve stopped to change our plans again and somebody we now or wanted to visit or that is interested in the church comes out of nowhere and we happen to be in just the right place at the right time. Its really cool. Theres a scripture somewhere... that says something about how in the end we´ll be saved by grace after all we can do. Or something like that. I think it refers more to the final judgement or something, but I think about it in times like this. We get the blessings after we´ve run around, failed, and continued to run until we´re out of ideas. And then because of the diligence we put in, the Lord puts someone in our path that needs our help. Good stuff.

Anyways, basically out of time here already. Dang it. Yesterday kinda fell apart - it was mothers day and so all the members travelled to visit their parents moms and family. That meant that hardly anybody came to church. Just try and imagine holding a meeting with only 11 people. lol. But at least a couple of the people giving talks showed up. Some old lady wanted one of those hello´s where you give them the kiss on both cheeks. The Sister missionaries have to give like 100 of those each day, but usually the missionaries get off easy. Well, I didn´t know what to do so I just leaned back and shook her hand. haha. She looked kinda offended but I hope she gets over it. She was kinda crasy anyways. She stood up in the middle of my class, told the member that she came with that she was going home (we hadn´t met her before), and then asked the whole class to give her a round of applause before she left. haha. Funny stuff.

But thats all. We´re teaching this really smart guy right now, and its wierd to actually have to answer good questions. Most people here aren´t that on top of things, but this guy really knows his stuff. We´re working on his testimony of the Book of Mormon so that he doesn´t have so many doubts. Hopefully that works. His names Roque. Cool guy, and we´re praying lots for him.

Besides that. How are all my other mission buds doing? Haven´t heard much from them. And did the Hockey playoffs already come and go? Who won that if it did? lol. Just interested in the winning team and maybe where we placed. Don´t want to get distracted, but it seems like I´m missing something in my life without that information. Anyways, love you lots, and have a good week!

See yah!

Love, Elder Humphreys

No comments: