Monday, June 13, 2011

Live from Curuguaty

Hey everybody! Sorry to write so late. I'm on a division in this town called Curuguaty. Kinda far from my regular house. Elder Chatelain and Elder Sorenson (my old comp for two weeks and now district leader) wanted to get together and talk about how excited they are to go home and go golfing together and stuff. haha. Really we're supposed to just do divisions every once and a while, so here I am. The towns a little bit bigger than what I'm used to though, and so I'm kinda freaking out. Its got like, lots of cars, and traffic, and stores and stuff. lol. Apparently I'm getting used to small town life. Its wierd. So I'm here with Elder Thomas. We came together from the MTC, so we're about at the same experience level and whatnot, but I didn't really know him back then so its kinda fun like that.

Monday went well. We kinda missed our bus home though... lol. That was embarrassing. But fortunately there was a later one so it just meant that we got home a tad later than we planned. I missed wishing Elder Patterson a happy birthday via email, so I was kinda ticked about that, but it caused me to work up the guts to ask for permission to call out of zone to talk to him. So it all worked out well. Didn't get to talk to him on his birthday because I couldn't get a hold of his number, and then he didn't answer once I finally got it, but two days later we got to talk. That was nice. Its always great to talk to an old friend. And it just made me feel good cuz I actually did an act of good friendship to somebody for once. lol.

Got offered to eat hoof this week. I woulda done it but it was kinda just sitting on the table (no plate) and i dunno.... looked like he had already eaten all of the meat off of it. But I think it turns out you mostly just are eating the cartilage from between the joints. But I'm not really sure. Some other day. Speaking of bad food, Elder Chatelain ate a bug this week. It was fun to see him take some initiative and actually eat something gross without me for once. haha. Turned out there were bugs in the noodles he was cooking that he thought was just seasoning or something at first. Kinda gross.

Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense by the way. I have a pretty nasty headache after riding the bus out here. The soccer madness didn't help much either. That makes two weeks in a row now where I've almost killed my self running around chasing down soccer balls after district meeting. But its been worth it.

I accidentally told Elder Chatelain that I had a movie on Youtube and he helped the members look it up against my discretion. They liked my beard and stuff, but I don't think they really grasped the joke behind a mamma mia remake. Funny stuff.

It makes me happy to hear you're all just sharing the gospel and being super missionaries back at home. Thats legit. I was reading the ensign on the bus the other day, and it was really good, but I felt kinda bad for not being a better missionary back in the day. Glad to see you're living it all up. Keep up the good work! Speaking of the ensign, I re-read Elder Uchtdorfs talk in the Priesthood session, and I liked it WAY better in English. haha. Its hard to get the feeling in Spanish, even if you understand it. Made me want to magnify my calling even better.

Taught the lesson AND talked in church this sunday. We have to be better at asking people to talk. I translated some of a talk about having Christ-centered families from conference. Its lame cuz there's so much good stuff that I want to share with everybody but we still haven't been able to get it in Spanish yet and so I just have it in English. Lame.

Had a cool experience today. We were on the way to the bus and some guy stopped us. Apparently he's a student and he wanted to do a little interview with us. So we got to explain our purpose and beliefs for him. Hopefully it'll make it into the final project and we can help a lot more people understand us better. Cool stuff.

Speaking of which too, Elder Call called me while we were on the bus. He said to say Hi to my family btw. Elder Calls the man. One of my favorite people that I've come in contact with while on the mission. He just called to see how things are going. Told me too that he had talked with some people from my last area. Fun to see that they're still progressing and whatnot. Also great to see how certain seeds that we were able to plant have started to blossom. Like there was a family we spent a fair bit of time with and weren't really progressing for various reasons, but have now gone to church like 5 times and are planning on getting married and baptized. Awesome to know that we didn't "waste any time on them", and that not giving up paid off.

Anyways, gotta roll and take some headache medicine! lol. And go to some FHE with some family I've never met. Should be great. Glad to hear you're all doing well. Thanks for being so awesome. Keep up the good work! Crasy to hear that school's almost over. Thats madness. It feels like just yesterday that that happened last time. Madness. Love you lots, and have a great week!

Elder Humphreys

PS - I know its like a week away, but HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!!! Couldn't decide if I should be a week early or a day late. Oh well. LAme that we can't phone or anything. Hope its a blast! Thanks Dad for being so good, strong, and such a good influence! Sorry I can't be there, but I know you understand. Hope everyone gives you a extra big hug on my behalf. Love ya! Chou!

No comments: