Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Saltos - Week 1

Hey there everybody! Hows it going. Sorry. This letter is going to come out a little rough and a little shorter I think. the keyboard in this place is a disaster. I´m honestly writing three times slower than usual. and I´m on a little bit stricter of a time limit here, so I´ll see what I can do.

Anyways. Glad to hear that you had a good week. Sounds like you had a blast. and that you will be having a blast. that things are going well, and that your´re getting all ready for your fun trip! How exciting! You´ll have to tell me all about it. Sounds like a blast. Don´t get lost in the land of foreign languages. lol. President mentioned that he got your letter dad. Not sure if he wrote you back... (the question mark doens´t work here). Hopefully all goes well with that. i´ve promised everybody that I´ll go back and see them so hopefully it all works out, and that president is cool with the date that weve picked. I hope you´ve started saving up for your new ride dad. lol. i´m stillkind of excited for the old one though. haha. I´m happy to hear that you found part of the list. i made a better list, but i think I know the one that you´re talking about, and I basically mademy list off of that one. I´ve thought about it, and I´ll let you know next week about everything that I´ve been able to remember. As for roomates. adam said that we would livetogether, but I think that´ll only work if zach has moved out. So that might be tricky. Basically I´m down with anything. after being on a mission so long, I´m pretty sure i could live anywhere with anyone. not a big deal.Anyways. hope the trip goes well and that you have a blast. tell me all about it.

Anyways, as far as my week went. pretty crasy one. Started out the week saying a couple goodbyes. tried to visit some people and take some picks, but mostof those visits didn´t really work out. oh well. not a big deal. however, church last week wasgreat. we did some visits with that american family that bought us lunch and they turned out great. then all of those people came to church. there were tons of people there. we had a really successful week and same with the other elders.Nice to see that what we did actually had a good influence on that plac. that things keep going forward. great last weekend. Also had one of my weirdest experiences of my mission. We went in to get to know the husband of one of our investigators. she warned us that he´s a little crasy, and whatnot and at the last minute warned us that he doesn´t typically like to wear much clothes. okay. well, we still wanted to meet the guy since that wasone of her major doubts. Well, we get in there to meet a old 80 year old guy, smokeing, drinking, and absolutely naked. just a little weird. lol. obviously if it was a lady we would have just run out of there asap, but yeah.we tried to talk to him for a little bit, but he didn´t know spanish or english. so we got out of there pretty quick. weird though.

Anyways, monday night I got the news on my new area. A city called Salto del Guaira. Its right near the boarder of Brasil. That makes it a really interesting place. Almost all of the people speak Portugese, spanish, and Guarani, or just a combinatino of the 3. So thats interesting. I´m here replacing on of Elder Pattersons old comps Elder Babcock. Great guy who´s just been getting tons of baptismshere for the last 6 months. That leaves me with some crasy big shoes to fill. I´m comps with the newish Elder he trained Elder Wheatly from Downey, Idaho. Great kid, really humble and hardworking. So that puts me in a really great situation.In an area that has had a lot of success, good branch, great comp. needless to say, I´m excited. Lots of recent converts to work with. I´m district leader over us and the other companionship here in town. Thats also something new, exciting and a little challenging. But hopefully it keeps going well.

So yeah. Tuesday we had changes. Last chance to give Elder Richards everything that he needs. i think he´ll do a great job. So I spent all day in the office helping out with that. That also meant that I had to stay up tll midnight just tryng to get my bags packed and everything. Turns out that I have a lot of junk. lol.

Asi es. So Wednesday I got there in the morning. got to take all of the dead elders out to do some souveniere shoping. didn´t buy anything since there wasn´t space in my bags. then we took them out to lunch t othis cool peruvian place. there we ate this real cool food. basically, they eat seafood that hasn´t been cooked, but rather justsoaked in some interesting lemon or lime juice thing that apparently keeps it from killingyou. well, i knew that I had a huge bus ride ahead of me, but I couldn´t resist. haha. so me and my comp had some raw shrimp, octupus, clam, squid etc. It was fantastic. anyways. that went good. but I barely got back in time for my bus. grabbed the bags, threw them in the van and got to the terminal with seconds to spare. fortunately there were some other guys that were also going out far and so I only had to spend a little bit of the time on the bus all by myself. Somehow between the morning and the time we left for the terminal though, one of my bags went missing. Not sure how. didn´t realize till too late. just a garbage bag with my sheets, a towel, a big coat, my pillow, bothof my blankets etc. in it. And apparently they haven´t seen it around the office. So thats a problem. if you want, you can pray that it shows up.  Its not very fun sleeping without a pillow. lol. So yeah. I got to take another 7.5 hour bus ride to my area. Just like the good old days. thankfuly the road trips don´t bug me.

The campo (field) is great. Didn´t realize how much I had missed it. The people are super receptive and nice. there is just tons of open space and jungle and wildlife. The roads are mostly just dirt and sand and so its basically pointless to polish your shoes.lol. I also came home the first night with a dirty shirt, nasty brown hands and a descent sunburn. Awesome. I have really big shoes to fill after the work that Elder Babcock did, but I don´t mind. I just plan on doing my best and trying to help as many people as possible. Elder Wheatley is great. he´s loving the fact that I actually give him time to talk. I like having a little more freedom to teach the lessons. Hes super focused and I love it. something that we sometimes lacked a little on a long day of planning back in the office. I´m not going to lie, I was a little suprised to come here, just because everybody was talking me up, telling me that I would be zone leader like every other ex-oficinista and whatnot. But I´m actually really happy to be here. the lord knows better than we do. Because just being district leader is a good challenge and stretch for me. I taught my first district meeting today. a little stressful but I think it went well and I had fun. Our district is great and I love the guys in the zone too. Wow time flys here in the internet cafe.

Elder Wheatly was sick all friday. i´m going on a division this tuesday. looks like i will have to pull out a little bit of personal money to be able to afford the travel until i can get it reimbursed. ironic for an old financiero. We have a sick investigator who is looking perfect for baptism. Hes awesome. Came to church and has an awesome testimony. had my first lesson that I taught to somebody that speaks Portugese, and all of sunday school was also in portugese. Fortunately its not to hard as the vocab is very similar to spanish. We have a cute little chaple, the members are great. Anyways, I´m all out of time thanks to this dumb keyboard. sorry to leave you hanging. basicall I´m happy working hard. I´d write more, but we´re going for 110 percent obedience here. gotta keep the ball rolling. Anyways, I loveyou lots, and glad that things are well. Have a great trip! I love you tons!

Elder Humphreys

No comments: