Thursday, March 29, 2012

Saltos - Week 2

HI! sorry for not writing. I had just enough time to read my letters, and write a nice big letter to President before the power went out and I lost everything. lol. We had a big storm blow in out of nowhere and the internet went out before any of us could write. And then yesterday we had a meeting 4 hours away and so there went most of the day. So here I am, letting you know that I´m not dead. haha. Sorry for not finding a way to write sooner.
 
Anyways, I don´t have tons of time, because we need to get out and get to work, but I´ll try and give you a quick update on how the week went. I´m glad to hear that things are well in Asia. Looks like a blast. Eat sushi for me! lol. The funny thing is that of the little you´ve said, a lot of it sounds more like here than home. For instance the electric showers, bidets and the like. Good stuff.
 
So yeah. we had a pretty descent week as usual. Not that it was without its fair share of dificulties though. But that helped us learn lots, and we are really excited about work this week. Afternoon of last monday we went out and worked with the zone leader and such. Took a nice long and needed P-day nap. That was nice. That night at about 11 pm I had to catch a bus to go do a division. Not so fun. That meant that I showed up at 3ish in the morning. The crazier part being that I traveled alone. Not a big deal, but it meant that the whole way I was in and out of sleep, and super worried about missing my stop. Not so fun.
 
Tuesday I got to work in Santani with Elder Salvatierra (from Chile). Good guy and a good area. I´ve actually been there a decent number of times after my time in San Pedro. We got to do service in the morning moving dirt and rocks. Work hardin the afternoon. Good stuff. Learned a descent amount of stuff. For dinner I had the first PB+J sandwich since.... 7th grade I think. I was kind of afraid to try it. But it was more just about breaking a PB+J fast that I had been holding for the last howevermany years that made me aprehensive. lol. It was actually not bad. Guess I´m growing up. That night we were supposed to catch the bus at 2 inthe morning. I double checked that my comp set the alarm, but somehow it never went off. So then I had to catch the 8am bus that morning. Well, we showed up 5 or 10 minutes early, but it turned out that some of the buses were racing and had already passed by. Ugh. So I didn´t get out till noon, and not back till 5ish. That was kind of a day killer. Nothing you can do though. That night we had all you can eat pizza for dinner so that made up for it in the end.
 
Thursday we worked hard. And not much came out of it. In the end we had a ward activity night and watched mountin of the lord. It probably was a little too long and a little too much for most of the people, but the coolest part was what our investigator Cleverson thought about it. Hes awesome. After the movie, he asked what he could do to be able to go inside. He has an awesome testimony and he is super excited to get baptized. The baptism would be this week, but with conference, we decided to wait a week so that things weren´t rushed. But yeah. He basically teaches himself. I handed him a Word of Wisdom pamphlet as some prereading for the next time we would pass by. He read the whole thing as soon as we left, and then 2 or 3 more times before we got to pass by again. He basically taught us the entire lesson. Then he told us that he wished his sister knew about it since she smoked. We asked him when we could meet and teach her... he invited her over right then, and she accepted the invitation to be baptized. I guess thats getting ahead of things since that just happened on Monday, but oh well. To make things short, he´s super cool. I´m super excited for his baptism and he is too. It´ll be great.
 
This week, the real problem is just a lack of investigators. Besides Cleverson, we´re running pretty dry. Its hard to teach, baptize etc. if you don´t even have anybody interested to talk to. So, we´ve been working a lot with the ward list, the area book and all of that good stuff. its taken a lot of time to get that organized and everything, but we´re hoping to see some blessings coming soon. We both have desires to meet people and help them out. Its tricky because I still don´t know the area very well with all these divisions and meetings we´ve been having lately, and Elder Wheatley is still new to the whole planning and finding people to teach thing. But I think we´re getting better. Its been really good for the both of us and we´ve been learning lots. This week really did teach us a lot though. we weren´t so much getting down about having a hard week, but more just about wondering if we´ve been doing something wrong. If there is something more that the Lord wants from us, or if we are just meant to pass by hard times at this point in time. Its been a tricky balance that I´ve been trying to figure out for a long time now. Sometimes, you just have to be patient when things don´t work out. Sometimes, they aren´t working out and you aren´t baptizing or having other success because you aren´t doing something right. Your heart really isn´t in the work. Or you aren´t doing enough to let the spirit guide you to what you should do. well, that gave us, or at least me, a great opportunity to pray and think this week. We ended the week with some pretty low numbers as a result of not having people to teach. We got some suggestions about how to work more effectively and whatnot. Alright. Anyways, I think in the end, this week really helped me to grow more humble, closer to the Lord, and with even more desires to do everything that He wants. I was able to read in 3 Nephi 1 this week and that helped me a lot. It talked about people waiting for the sign of Christs birth to know that their faith had not been in vain. It also talked about the fact that they were failing to see the smaller blessings all around them. Lastly it talked about the earnest prayers, and the promise that the blessings would come.I don´t know when will see all of the blessings of my work, but I know that they will come at some point in time. However, I still wanted to know what more I could do. So this Tuesday we had a special meeting as a zone with President. He´s been going around and teaching and such. Anyways, I was able to fast while going into the meeting and it went great. we learned a lot and I now know of a lot of ways that I and we can improve. I know that we´re going to be able to see more success in time, and until then, what more we can do.
 
I love the mission. I learn a little more everyday. I get better, but also see the ways in which I can improve, and how much more I have to go before I will really be like Christ. What a blessing. I´ve been able to look back and see where I was, how far I´ve come, and how much more I need to go. Not to mention the blessing of being able to share the gospel and invite others unto Christ. Helping souls to come unto him is one of the greatest things I´ve ever been able to do.
 
Anyways. I´m short on time and have to run. Sorry for the mid week letter. Hope you keep having a blast on your trip. Let me know how it goes, and dont forget to be safe! lol. Love you lots. Talk to ya soon!
 
Elder Humphreys

No comments: