Monday, July 11, 2011

Back to work

Hola. Hows it going? Things are doing fabulously here. We finally got back to San Pedro. Its good being home. I like having my own bed, and not having to live out of a suitcase. Walking around, getting exercise and not being so stir-crasy. Not to mention SHARING THE GOSPEL. Thats the best part. Our investigators and members were all starting to think that we had forgotten about them. Its been nice to get out and teach some lessons again. It meant that the work this week was a little slow because we were just visiting everyone to appologize and make sure they hadn´t gone apostate or anything since we left (10 days is a long time for a missionary to be away from his work!), but now we´re back into full swing. It was a nice little holiday, but as always, good to be back. The wierd thing is though that now Elder Chatelain is down to his last 10 days as an official missionary (it´ll probably be a little more like 12 or 13 before he gets home). Trunky. lol. He´s already got his homecoming talk all finished and mostly memorized. Spends a lot of time looking at pictures and thinking about buying souvenirs etc... but we´re working hard. haha. Working till the very end. Good stuff. It makes me even more glad that dad will be coming to pick me up, because I´ll be able to put off all (or hopefully most) of my trunkyness until that week. Side note on that: Dad - how long do you want to stay here? 3 days, a week, 10 days?? I´m not really sure what´d be best, but it might have some influence on when I think that we should plan on you coming. Wierd to think that in not very long, every one of my comps so far will be back at home. Elder Call leaves at the end of September and then that´ll be it. I´ll be an oldie! Messed up!

But yeah. Good stuff. This week started out in the office still. Monday I got to eat at the nicest restaurant in all of Paraguay. Again! I´m so lucky. Super good. We´ll defs be going there again before I leave. Paulistas brazilain BBQ. 30$ a person - expensive! lol. Got to also be in the office for change day. Saw lots of people coming and going. A good number of my MTC buds have been going up to sr comp now. Scary thought. Elder Patterson is now Sr as well, and we got SO CLOSE to being comps! Not really, but he´s comps with one of my MTC roommates. Shucks! Oh well. Anyways, we had to do a couple more tests before we left for home, so we got to go to the hospital AGAIN. Thankfully we´re done now. While we were waiting for results though, some guy randomly bought us some soup though, so that was pretty cool. I didn´t even get to ask him if he was a member or what though. Thankfully it wasn´t poisoned, and hopefully he gets blessed for his service. Good stuff. It was also fun to be in the office as all the Newbies showed up. Its funny because they know a lot already, but some stuff is just so new to them still. They don´t really know whats up yet. Reminds me of when I was a newbie. Made me think of all of the things that I now take for granted. Like when I was on the bus, I realized that to have random fires all along the roadside probably isn´t normal back at home. But here, there isn´t really any forest fire risks, so everyone just prunes their trees back, and then have giant bonfires. Different. Or how all yogurt here is drinkable, more liquidy yogurt like yops. Nothing important or all that special, but just things that are different that just become normal after a while.

Random note as well. My half brother of the mission (my trainers other train-y) got sent to the Argentinan mission a couple weeks ago because he got dengue for the second time in his mission, and he´s got even less time here than me. Wow. Thankfully I´ve been blessed to have good health and luck (if you can call it that), up until this point. Good stuff

The world cup isn´t happening this year, but there is some south american cup. You think it wouldn´t be that big of a deal, but it is. We´ve been told not to watch the games under any circumstances, and so that often means that if Paraguay is playing, they would rather that we were just in the house studying than being out, because EVERYONE will be watching the game. Ridiculous. But it worked out to our advantage this week as I had extra time to work on my talk for sunday.

As for studies, something that I started this week is try to memorize my patriarchal blessing. Its been pretty cool. I still plan on reading it after, but it forces you to really analyze it word for word. It also means that while I´m out walking, I´ve had that on the brain, rather then wasting time thinking about nothing. Good stuff.

Sunday went really well. Our investigator came, so hopefully she´ll be able to be baptized soon. Things ran smoothly and I think that my class and talk went well. It was nicer this week and so people actually came, because the cold wasn´t a worry. Also had a visiter from Asuncion. He came up for work and after he drove us around in his car to do visits. He was a little bit crasy, but we met a lot of his friends and got lots of visits done so that was great. Had one of the scarier moments of my mission while he filled up the van/car thing while it was running.... but we didn´t blow up, so that was good. I´m actually kinda glad that we don´t have cars though. This place just isn´t made for them.

But yeah. All in all a good week. Good to spend time with the members and investigators again. Great to share the gospel! I feel like an old person who´s just super happy to get to be a missionary again. I got all this new energy after my long vacation. Hopefully Elder Chatelain can keep going strong, and then my next comp will be a hard worker, and we can start seeing continued success. See the blessings of our work.

But yeah. Gotta run. Crasy that the Stampede is already here. I never thought I´d miss it. Good times. Feels like just yesterday that I was there. Camps. How fun. I don´t think people here get the idea of camping.... its kinda like camping just living here, but just with not as many fun activities. lol. Nice work with the camera. haha. It made me chuckle. And easy with all the new accesories (aka glasses)! I won´t be able to recognize any of you when I get back! Not good!

But thats it for today. Love you all. Thanks for everything. Have a great week!

Love,

Elder Humphreys

No comments: