Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Office - episode 3


The Office Crew



HOWDY.

Hows everybody? Hope you're all ready for start of boring-er letters, because it starts today. lol. I'm trying to think of exciting things to tell you, but yeah... we'll see how it goes.
But all in all, it was a good week for me. Glad to hear that all is going well back home. How's Edmonton going? Say Hi to everyone for me. Good stuff. Happy birthday's btw - Happy Birthday Grandma! Cache! and Jeffrey! Hope they go fantastically! Love ya all! Anyways, thanks for the updates. Hows driving out to Okotoks? Legit? Glad to hear that you could make something out of (almost)nothing for my church report. haha. Its just funny to me, because it feels like there would be so much less to say about me now than there was before, but I guess just with some change that makes things exciting. How are all of the other guys doing btw? You mentioned that sister Hofmeister gave her little thing - Jordan will be getting home pretty soon wont he? And the rest of them?? I keep meaning to try and get in touch with everybody, but yeah..... easier said than done. Maybe if I get bored of sitting around in the office, I'll be able to do something about that. As for the Luxuries... I'm just living them up. Your right though. I gotta be careful not to get tooo used to them. In... I dunno... 7 months Ill be out and about again. Crasy! lol. That feels like a long ways away... haha. I enjoyed the chicken pie story. Oops. haha. As for more short letters during the week - no problems with that. Doesn't really make too big of  a difference to me, so whatever floats your boats.
As for us.... As an office as a whole, the biggest news would be changes this week. Its going to be CRASY! And a little sad - I'm going to be losing a lot of friends this change. Elder Call and Elder Villalon (2 of my old comps), one of my favorite zone leaders of all time from my last zone, and my "grandpa" of the office (the financiero before the one that I'm replacing) will all be gone in less than a week. But oh well. Thats how it goes. And when you work in the office, you end up getting to know everyone pretty quick and so I should be able to make new friends fast. lol. Changes will be a little weird too because personally, I have zero fear of getting changed. And there is no way that I'll be getting a new companion either. So that makes it good and tranquilo. But then theres the office part. I had to pull out a bunch of extra money so that I can reimburse everybody that comes in so that they can pay for the taxis and whatnot. This that and the other. There will be 100s of people in the office, and I'll obviously be taking on other types of jobs too just to make sure that things go smoothly. Should be fun.
Besides that..... what else. Sunday was kinda crasy. Our top investigator came to church. Thats a big deal for this ward. Both sets of elders had a total of 3 investigators in church, and although normally thats not too crasy, here in our area, thats almost unheard of. So that was really good. Shes a pretty shy person, but we worked really hard to make sure that people sat with her and were friendly to her and whatnot, and in the end I think she really liked it. Actually, I know for a fact that she did. So that was really cool. Things almost went bad right of the bat though. The stake patriarch was asked to speak. He's a really smart guy and everything, and on a personal level I'd love talking to him. But with our investigators in mind, it didn't go so well. He just got up and talked really loud (almost shouting) and whatnot, and talked for a good 30 minutes on things that were over the heads of everybody. He basically talked all about the temple, giving WAY too many details, and just confusing everybody. After church, there were a lot of people with a LOT of questions. But fortunately the classes went well and the people felt the spirit and all of them want to come back next week. Even better than that was our visit with our investigator during the week. Her name is Gabriela. Shes 14, but she's smart enough to be 20. We visited her with a member this week. Our first visit with her, she was really depressed looking, didn't talk much, and did;t appear to have much self confidence. Well in this one week shes change a LOT. She was cheerful, happy and told us about how much the things that we've shared with her have already started to help her. Her mom told us that she really saw a difference too. She isn't as crabby, nicer to her siblings, working harder in school etc. And they knew that it was all based on her desires to follow Christ and do whats right. She's already almost finished 1st and 2nd Nephi, which is SUPER legit because Paraguayans typically aren't that into reading. We asked her if she like to read and she told us that really, she doesn't. But something about the book of mormon made her want to read and she wasn't able to put it down. By the 3rd visit, she already has a strong testimony of the book, of Joseph Smith, and says that the baptismal date that we put with her is something very important in her life right now. Legitness like that. So thats pretty cool. We've been calling her everyday without fail just to make sure that nothing happens. Should come to church tomorrow. And I think she'll be bringing her mom too, so that'll be good. Don't forget to pray for us/her!
Just got my haircut like 2 seconds ago.... gotta look good for all the newbies when they show up. Of course, in typical 5 dollar haircut fashion, it looks... questionable. lol. But we'll make it work.
What else. We went on a division the other day. That was alright. Its awkward being in a group of 3 though. Less than a week....lol
As for the office half of my job. Definitely getting easier. There are still times when I have to go running to Elder Cerpa to save me from my own naivety, but we're getting there. Weird to think that I'll be on my own really shortly here. Wow. That just hit me. lol. But I think I'll be alright. The majority of the things aren't all that hard. I'll survive.
Today we got to go visit a whole part of Paraguay that I didn't know until now. A town called San Lorenzo. Its sad to think about, but as missionaries, we have half of the country in our mission, but in the end, you only have about 5 areas and so you only usually get to see a very small part of it. Once again, joys of the office. Got to go see an area where Elder Patterson used to work, and even just out of coincidence, talked to a member that knows him.  Speaking of which, Elder Patterson also stopped into the office the other day which was nice cuz we got to chat for a bit. I feel kinda bad because the problem is that I get to talk to everybody, but there is never lots of time to talk lots. So thats kinda lame, but what can you do....
President and his wife had their aniversary this week too. That was fun. We got to eat cake, and the lunch was extra good. We talked to them about how they met, and when they got married and stuff like that. haha. It was fun. They are really great and cool people. They say hi by the way.
Anyways, not sure what else to say. That was the week. Lots of office work. Some fun mini-roadtrips. Some descent work in the area. Should continue to be like this for the next couple of months. I'll do what I can to keep it interesting though. But yeah. I guess I'll be going. Hope you all have a great week. Do whats right, and love your neighbor! lol. Love ya, miss ya. The mission's great. Talk to ya next week!
Elder Humphreys

No comments: