Monday, September 5, 2011

crocodile empanadas

Howdy! Another week come and gone. How time flies. Kinda wierd because for some reason this week I have TONNES of time to write. Not sure how. lol. We´ll see if I can think of anything interesting to tell you all about....

Just to fill you in on how things are right now. I just had a close run in with death - We had to take a two hour bus ride to another town. And then we turned around and came back about a half hour later. There aren´t any ATM´s in this town (LAME), and the bank where we normally take out our money told us they wont do that anymore. So we just had to spend all morning traveling to get our cash to pay the rent. But tranquilo. You gotta do what you gotta do. The fun part was that I didn´t drink enough water yesterday, and so on the way out I bought 2 litres of water for the ride. Bad idea. The first leg was fine, but on the way home all that water started getting to me. For a whole hour on the way home I was having some serious bladder pain and doing everything possible not to wet my pants. haha. It wasn´t fun. Fortunately I made it home alive and dry. And I can honestly say that right now I feel like a million bucks. lol.

But thats not really important. Just what was on my mind. Glad that you guys are having a blast and keeping the traditions alive. The temple obviously being the highlight, but also keeping the golf and skeet shooting going, even though your star player is taking a break for the year. Who won the golf now that I wasn´t there to take the prize like I usual do? lol. I´ll probably even be back for next years tourny. How wierd is that? Random notes, but since when is there a big screen at the ranch? Chuchi. Glad to hear that the dogs are getting along, and that Toby is still top dog. haha. School... what fun. Wierd to think that I´ll have to worry about school again in the future. Yay for reading the Ensign. Its probably my favorite thing to read right now. I´ve honestly read every one since the August that I got to the MTC cover to cover. Good stuff. As for Grandma and Grandpa letters. Not sure what to say. Basically, I have quite the time doing all my emails in under an hour. Just because I don´t know how to write a short letter, and the like. But on a day like today when none of my sisters wrote, and I don´t have any pictures to send I do have a little extra time. So I dunno. I do get the letters. I´m just SUPER bad at remembering to make mention of them or write back. I don´t think that any DearElders have ever not got to me. Its mostly my fault.  Not to make excuses, but I think I get more mail than everyone in the whole zone put together. I got the best family and friends! All the other Elders get needlessly jealous some times, but don´t let that stop the letters from coming. lol. I just have to make it a higher priority to get back to everybody. Im sure I look super ungreatful. Sorry. I´ll have to write to some realitives and leave writing back all of the chicas until later. haha But yeah. Thats how it goes. Maybe I´ll just have to start sending more short letters, and less gigantic ones. lol.

But. As for the week. Probably highlight: Guess who ate Crocodile??? Yeah. How legit is that. It basically just tasted like chicken, like everybody told me it would. Came in empanada form (not sure how to translate that.... think... pizza pop, but full of meat and a little egg and onions instead of sauce and cheese. lol) We eat empanadas basically every day, but thats the first time for the crocodile for me. But that wasnt really the highlight I guess. Just something really fun.

Question: Is there a good way to fix scripture bindings? My triple in English and in Spanish are both almost all falling out of their bindings. I think the humidity or something must destroy the glue or something because I´ve been treating them good, but they´re falling apart. If not, hopefully when I get home I can find somebody to fix them for me.

Monday night we went to Santani to stay the night for the big conference Tuesday. We got lucky because we didn´t have to sleep in the chapel like all the other missionaries, and instead we stayed at the district leaders house. That was legit. But it did cause us to get close to breaking the only rule that I was POSITIVE that I would never have to worry about. haha. It says ¨Sleep in the same room as your comp, but not in the same bed¨. Duh. Thanks rule book. Well... there weren´t enough matresses and so we kinda had a slumber party. haha. 3 guys on 2 matresses. And neither of them were my comp, so no worries. lol. But yeah. It meant that we were able to get a good night sleep and be ready for the conference. It was fun too because the conference was a sort of ¨family reunion¨for us. 4 of us guys from the same district were all there and so it was nice to chat with them again.

Tuesday was the conference. We were scared to death of what would happen, because the last time Elder Arnold came, he had basically everyone in tears. haha. But it wasn´t like that at all. It was super good. It was done in a very loving matter, and you could really see that he is a man called of god to help us. We recieved lots of good instruction and I think it´ll really help us as a mission. Its been going good so far applying everything that we learned. For example, without question, we kneel to pray with the people in every lesson. Something that we were told would be good to do, but now we do it always. And its been cool to see what a difference it makes. Even when it means that you´re kneeling in the mud in somebodies front yard. Stuff like that. It´ll be great to see the difference all the changes make.

We also got given personal DVD players. Every companionship has one now for watching missionary teaching vids that should help us to do our comp studies better. Wé´ll see how that goes. Apparently it comes straight from Salt Lake. So far we don´t have the vids so we haven´t tried it yet, but we´ll see. I can see a lot of goofs watching vids in their spare time...

Also, I got my Packages!! Yay! THANKS! I loved all the stuff. I´ve been skipping for 20 minutes every morning, and then putting back on all the calories again by eating about a pound of candy a day. Good stuff. The package came in pretty descent shape. Kinda squished, and had been opened in customs, but I don´t think anything was missing. Some of the candy got a little melted, but the only thing that was really all that negatively affected was the jolley ranchers. Those are a little sticky, but still delish. The funniest part was the other package I got. From my ¨secret lover¨. Haha. It said it was from DearElder, and had the name of Emily Mickle on it. Who the heck is Emily Mickle??? I was super puzzled. We emptied the box looking for letters. Everyone was questioning me. I didn´t have a clue. I was planning on sending this stranger a note to say thanks and find out why she loved me enough to send me a box of candy.... then my comp did some investigating and found the name hidden under the top lable. From my NOT so secret lover. But somebody who clearly cares about me. hahahaha. THANKS aunt Barb/family for the candy, and also for the mystery!!!! hahaha. I enjoyed it, though Im kinda disapointed to not have a secret lover. Also, I thought it was ironic as I was looking at my teeth the other day, thinking about how it will be another long year without a dentist apointment, and then realized that it was my hygenist who sent me all the candy that´s rotting my teeth. haha. But its worth it. THANKS!!

Wow. I have more time, and then I just write more about little things. Then I have no time again.... lol

We had a couple close encounters with the Rat this week. We made the owner of the house fix the hole in the roof. But somehow he got in again. He doesn´t bother me all that much cuz he sticks to the kitchen, but Elder McCain woke me up a couple times in the middle of the night because he needed to use the bathroom, and needed my help to scare away the mouse. Thankfully Im a good, patient, loving, (humble), comp. haha.

But really. Besides all the goofy stuff, the week was really good. Taught a lot of great lessons. Had a lot of successful days. Kneeled, and felt the spirit in basically ever lesson. Taught a bunch with a kid in the ward about mission and mariage. He´s 20. I think I helped him to see and start thinking about serving, and also why he wants to get married and why it would be worth it. He told me he wanted to be single for his whole life, cuz he didnt want a wife to nag him for the rest of his life. haha. So I set him straight. HAven´t talked to him since, but we´ll see what he thinks about the mission..

Anyways, sorry for just a goofy letter. PRobably too long to be good. Happy birthday aunt natalie. Have a good one. A bunch of new guys are coming in 3 weeks, so there are going to be some MAD special changes. WE´ll see if I get changed this week or not. Have a great week. Love you lots!!!

Elder Humphreys

No comments: