Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Office - Week 6

Hello hello. Hows everybody? Glad to hear that you had a good week. Thanksgiving and everything went well. Not gonna lie.... Turkey and stuffing sounds super good right about now. Or to just go out and have a little picnic. Sounds legit!
My week was pretty swell too. Right now I'm kinda sick though, so that puts a bummer on things. Kinda got a fever and am all achy, but what you gonna do about it right? Thank goodness for medicine. lol.
Anyways. To tell the truth, I've been sitting here, not writing this letter for a while now. So much easier to just watch Mormon.org vids. haha. They're so much fun. But anyways, I guess I'll try and get down to business.
Probably the highlight of the week would have been Thursday. After a good long day in the office, we got to go on our temple trip. Ive been really lucky since I've been here, as I've gotten to go to the temple a few extra times more than I should have. But normally we only get to go once every 6 months. And so this was our 6 month trip. Crasy to think that 6 months have already passed since the last time we went as a mission. A really fun part too was that we showed up a little early, and got lucky enough to be able to do baptisms and confirmations before the session. And crasily enough, after making sure that they knew what we were doing, they just left a couple of us missionaries in the room to do confirmations all by ourselves. Legit. So that was fun. With the baptisms, we got to baptize another missionary a bunch of times, and then we just switched and he baptized you. And then, if that wasn't already great enough, we got to follow that up with an endowment session. All in all, classically great trip to the temple. Sad that we don't get to go more often. Hows the construction going on our temple btw? Are they all on schedule, or does it look like I'll be able to get back before its all finished?
Otherwise... what else was good. Oh. I got my license this week. SICK. So I should be ripping around the streets in no time. So far I only took it for a short trip from the assistants house to ours. Thankfully I haven't forgotten how to drive, though I am a little rusty. Hopefully I can get used to the crasy traffic and uneven streets. lol. Speaking of which, we had a really weird experience the other day, when we were out working with a member. We came around the corner to find some guy lieing on the street. Turns out that for one reason or another he had fallen of his motorbike. I thought he was dead for a second because we couldn't see him that well, but thankfully he was fine, just a little shaken up. Well honestly less than 10 minutes later, we see some other guy on his bike just drive right into the back of a van and wipe out on his bike. Thats Paraguayan rush hour for you. lol. Thankfully that guy was fine too. The member just helped him pick up his bike, and within 30 seconds the firefighters were there to help him out (they were on their way to help the other guy that had wiped out. Ironic. lol). Anyways, it was just kinda weird because its not everyday that you see 2 accidents. Not to mention within a couple blocks and minutes of each other.
The work was good this week. I enjoy working with Elder Gustafson. We get along, he's got great work ethic, and excellent taste in music. lol. Unfortunately, we're still busy looking for the people that have been prepared to receive our message... and they are doing a pretty good job of hiding from us. Are best investigator is having a really hard time right now... her parents don't really want anything to do with the church, and aren't supporting her at all. And so even though she knows and testifies that the book of mormon is true, and everything like that, she's still just really confused about what she should do. Hard for somebody thats only 14 or 15 years old to go against everything they've grown up learning and everything that their family is teaching and telling them and just going off on their own. So yeah. We've been working a lot with what members we have that live in our area and trying to get them to help out and invite their friends and stuff. Hopefully we have success with that. It was interesting because when President Arnold (area president) was here, he told the assistants to tell me that OFFICE ELDERS BAPTIZE. How we're some of the most seen missionaries in the mission, and that because of that we have to set a good example. Not just complain because we have a hard area. So we're doing everything that we can to help bring that to pass. We also had our quarterly interviews with President this week. That was really nice. He also talked about the same sort of things. So hopefully you're all praying for us. lol. Because we're going to need all the help we can get. Theres got to be people out there that are ready for the gospel. We just have to find them and help them come unto Christ.
Oh. I was told to ask if anyone knows/knew Don McKay. Apparently he was the mayor of Calgary back in the day. We had to go to the south mission to borrow some copies of the book of mormon (somehow we ran out...), and the other Financiero that is working there said it was his Grandpa or something like that. I dunno. I've never heard of him. lol.
I learned another cool thing about the office this week. Being in the office helps you grow a lot bigger appreciation for President and everything that he does. I was talking to an old office elder about his time in the office, and he was telling me all of the things that he learned from President and totally started to notice that. I also see how hard he works day in and day out. I don't think he ever just stops to take a break. The thing that really made me realize it though was when we were in a lesson with the ward mission leader. Hes a good guy, but he's only half active and he's ALWAYS complaining to us about all of his problems and how he doesn't want to help us anymore. So its been a lesson of patience with this guy all along. But he didn't REALLY try our patience until he started complaining about how much he liked the old president of the mission, and how mad he is that President doesn't have time to make him feel happy all of the time. And then he just said "oh, well its probably not his fault. Those curepas just do things differently." (curepa being the derogatory guarani word that they use to talk about Argentinians. I think it means pigs or something like that). Wow. We almost just lost it on him. It made me realize how much respect that I've grown to have for President during the course of my mission. It was like somebody talking trash about your family right to your face. Come on. Ridiculous.
Got to go to the airport. Again. Seems like its something I should get used to, because I'll be doing it a lot. It was a Paraguayan Elder thats been waiting months to get his visa to Portugal. While he's been here though, I got to know him pretty well though. Sad to see another acquaintance go.... Just for future self reference, his name is Elder Aguilar. Just so I can look him up on Fb once I get home or something. lol
Food of the week: A desert that brought back good memories of Cheese-whiz and jam sadwiches. haha. It was this interesting Argentinan desert where they take this fruit stuff that is basically jam, and then wrap it in cheese. Kinda weird. Wasn't my favorite. But made me think of the good old days. lol.
But yeah. I'm out of ideas. I think I'm going to go take a nap or something. My head hurts. lol. We lose p-day time today because there is some Pre-stake conference meeting that we have to go to on special request of the area 70. The joys of saturday p-days. haha. But it should be good. Can't beat 70 visits. Anyways, hope you all have a great week. Enjoy work and school and whatever you do in your free time. I'm doing great and having a blast. Love ya lots!

Elder Humphreys

No comments: