Monday, September 20, 2010

LIFE AT THE CCM (MTC)

Hola! Another good week here at the CCM (MTC).  Its startin to feel like we've been here forever, but I'm not sick of it yet which is good. Thanks for all the mail I got this week. Sounds like you guys all sent them on the weekend tho cuz I had a nice stack when I got to class on monday night. lol.

This week we lost a good chunk of our district. Elder's Hale, Porter, Afatasi and Theil left us to finish the next 6 weeks of their time at the the MTC in the Dominican Republic where they will also serve the rest of their missions. That left 8 of us in the district. There's a much different atmosphere now that they're gone, but its good. We get distracted more easily cuz they were some of the most diligent people we had, but since they also had 3 of the best spanish speakers in the class, its allowed for us to slow down a bit and have lessons taught at a level closer to what we all need.

The language is commin better. This week we're starting to teach lessons in Spanish which is kinda ridiculous (I'm still a long ways from being ready for that), but I'm getting to the point that I can understand almost all of the stuff that I hear as long as its comming from another missionary and not from a teacher. lol.

This week was mostly uneventfull.... probably the most exciting thing would be that one day when we all hit the showers, Elder Sears (the last man in the room) decided to lock us all out. Fortunately I still had sweaty gym clothes to get back into, but Elder's Tenney and Bennion were standing around in their towels for a while while we waited for someone to save us. lol. Like I said, things aren't really all too exciting, so that was kinda a highlight. Otherwise mostly all we do is class and study. Good, but not really exciting stuff for emails...

We did talk about a couple interesting things this week tho. For instance, my teacher ranted for a bit one day about how this IS real life and that when we get back and people say "Don't worry. I'm sure you'll be normal again in a couple of weeks" that they are SO wrong. He had some merit for sure and I liked how we need to remember that being a missionary isn't something that we only do for 2 years and then give up on. But it was also kinda funny cuz thats a) a long way away, and b) this guy keeps "key indicators" still, but is setting goals on things like how many dates he's going to go on this week. lol. We laughed with him for a while on that one. We also talked about the stability of the church and how there are so many church farms, so much tithing money and so much structure that even when/if the countries of the world fall, we'll still be there, strong as ever, and nobody will even realize how it happened. Kinda cool. Last thing that kinda stuck out to me was how repentance is changing for the better, and how they say that missionaries are using the atonement more than most of their investigators. I didn't get it at first, but there's such a drastic change in how we live our lives that we're doing a LOT of repenting. Its no wonder everones so irritable these days. lol

Thats all the exciting stuff. Now I'll probably just answer questions. Oh, but question: did you get the pics I sent? I don't want to ruin a suprise, but I'm kinda interested if I'm with it enough to get a letter out on my own. lol

Oh, and lastly, we got a new Branch Pres which is kinda exciting (one of 32 at the MTC), and we'll be getting a new district leader next week. Scary stuff. haha

Anyways. Haha I think Howard sounds like the bomb. I love ridiculous people. The gym is closed for reno's and it was supposed to be done like on the 1st of September. Everyone's gettin really antsy about it opening, but they keep pushing back the date we'll get to use it. Funny that they paddle people in high school... looks like its gone to the dogs since its lacked my positive influence of the day. And have fun in choir. Maybe it'll benefit you in unseen ways someday.

Speaking of which.... I made the choir! Nbd. haha. We got a thing in the mail today saying that I should be singing in General Conference! That is if I don't miss any practices and everything goes according to plan. Pretty exciting regardless. All but 2 people in my district will be there too. It should be fun. I'll have to get back to you on what session, but I'm assuming it'll be priesthood....

As for packages, the things that come to mind have been the hershey chocolates, the sweedish berry/lint roller box, the fuzzy peaches/kinder suprise box (which everyone loved btw), and the cookies from the Mysyks. I think thats it, but I might be forgetting one maybe..? I dunno. I think they're all getting here. Much appreciated tho! Its been good to have snacks before bed cuz dinner's at 4:30 and you get pretty hungry. Almost out of everything tho. Elder Tenney thinks its ridiculous how much candy I've eaten. lol

I looked at the scrip for my plaque again. Its still a fav of mine so i'd say just go with it. Unless its too long and then I'll get back to you.

Corn bust sounded like a blast. Wish I coulda been there, but glad you all had fun. Good to hear you did the food drive without me too. That was always one of my faves.

Greeters that pick people up are just people who have been here a while. I'll probs get to start doing it soon enough. 

K, runnin short on time so we're double timin it.

Yeah, it looks like the flight plan will be rough. But it turns out he had a flight from Argentina to Paraguay. We thought for a while he'd have to bus or something.  lol.

Speaking Spanish all the time is rough. When we try to do just spanish we don't end up saying much, but we're trying to incorporate it into our day. Wish us luck. We'll try to keep practicing without turning into silent munk types. haha.

Weighed myself yesterday. Still in the 130s so no matter what I do, whether it be eat too much or get daily excercise it looks like i'm holdin steady. lol

I think Erica's right. I would appreciate the howling moon backround if you wouldn't mind. And 21 pushups a minute!?! That crasy! I don't think I could do that many in a day! haha.

Elder Vance's food sounded super cool. We're all hopin it'll be that fun in Paraguay.

Isolation was like vacation! I miss it every day at about 6:20 am. hahaha
The teeth sound like they were a blast :/ Hope it all turned out well. Cool that you got the fake ones tho. I'm excited for those. And good you till have a job!! How you going to afford an infinity if you don't got a job? lol.

And special thanks to my non direct family for the mail (aka Carmen and Sarah). Good to hear what the friends are up to.

Anyways, I'm outa time. Love you all! Keep being awesome. I miss you all, but am having a great time here. Can't wait to hit the field and do some REAL work. lol

Love ya,

ELDER HUMPHREYS

editorial note:  no photos have arrived...  and apparently we need to send healthier snacks, haha

No comments: