Monday, January 17, 2011

Back in the groove

Hola everybody! Hope things are going well with everyone back there at home. I had a pretty good week this week. There were moments when things got hard, or I got thinking a lot about family, home, everything thats been happening. But at the same time, we´ve started to get back into the groove and we´re working hard and starting to see more success. Just to start, thank you all so much for your love and sympathy. Its been great to get so many letters of love and support. Its really awesome to see how much people care about me, my family, and my mom.
 
For business (aka responding to Dads letter... not that it was all business but you know what I mean): I got the wards letter. Thank you kindly for that. Hope you´re all good and getting healthier. Nice work Marissa on passing the test! Don´t even sweat the marks. I barely passed too. haha. I actually was wondering what you were going to do about the cars... good luck getting that all figured out... Don´t let Marissa crash any of them or anything though, whatever you do ;) Still no package but no worries. I´ve been getting tonnes of DearElders to keep me busy. Thanks for forwarding those picture-letter things. They were very nice, and I could read them just fine. Say thanks to the vances for me for all the great letters and love they´ve sent. One other thing I was thinking was that I am allowed to email family, and so if the girls were feeling discouraged by the time difference on DearElders or anything, they can feel free to email me if they want. I can probably even find some extra time and email them back personally.
 
Anyways. Somehow I totally used up a bunch of time writing the President or something. So I gotta hurry, but theres a lot to say about the week. Monday was pretty low-key. But I did get my haircut and that was a terrifying experience. It turned out okay, but the guy was really sketchy and the whole time I was thinking I had made a terrible decision and I should have just payed the big money for a legit cut. But it turned out okay I guess. I survived.
 
Tuesday we had district meeting and got stoked on the work. Then we had a great day. got lots done. We went back to this family that we had found where the mom and dad are inactive members. Well it turns out that they´re super legit, both really want to go back to church, and their three daughters all want to get baptized.  They´re super awesome. What a blessing it was to find them. They all came to church this sunday (except the mom because she´s working on getting her work hours changed), but it looks like they´re going to be a great family to work with. Awesome.
 
Wednesday studies were kinda cool. Somehow I ended up going back in my reading in Jesus the Christ, and found a part I had read over but didn´t mean much to me the first time. Its talking about Luke 9:57-62, and Matt. 8:19-22. I like how it explained it in the book, but basically it talks about a few guys who all wanted to be disciples of Christ, but they didn´t want to do it right away. The one that I thought really applied to me was the man who said that he would follow Christ, but first he wanted to go home and bury his father. Chirst told him that to follow him he would need to leave those things behind and devote all his time to Him. It explains it better in the book, but I just felt that it applied to me a lot, and I felt like it helped me to feel like I did make the right decision in not coming home for everything. It is sad, but to be concecrated to his work requires leaving those things behind and devoting 100% of our time to him, which is what we´ve promised to do as missionaries. So that was kinda nice.
 
Also saw the biggest spider of my life on Wednesday (in our house). Fortunately I convinced my comp to take care of him. lol
 
Thursday we had another division. This time it was me and a guy who only had about 6 months on his mission. It didn´t go as smoothly as the last division, but we had a good time, learned lots from each other and it went well.
 
Ah! No idea what happened to the time. Sad cuz I had so much to share this week. Like how we got shot at in a drive by shooting (just some guy that pretended to shoot at us with an invisible gun. lol), or how we got to teach the smartest Paraguayan I´ve ever met, and we had to really be on our toes, answering the toughest questions me or my comp have been faced with since being here. But oh well.
 
This week we had Diegos baptism. It was great. Sorry, but I forgot the pictures. He looks like he´ll be a great memeber, and the service went great.
 
This sunday we broke my record for number of investigators in church. That was cool. It still wasn´t super crasy high, but it was just cool for me. Hopefully we can just keep improving with that.
 
Changes are this week. I´ll find out what happens probably tonight. I´m thinking that we´ll probably both be staying and so I haven´t thought lots about it, but you never know what will happen. I´m hoping we both stay, but we´ll see.
 
Anyways, out of time. Dang it. I´ll have more next week. Hope everything is going good for everyone back home. Thanks for being strong through everything. It´s been a real example for me. I´m doing well. Occasionally sad, but we´re working hard and staying happy. Being the best missionaries we can be. Thanks to everyone for all the letters. I´ve really been loving to hear from so many people. I´m going to write as many back as I can, but it´ll take at least a month before they get to you, so know now that I´ve been appreciative. Thanks for everything. I love you all! Things are doing great here. Talk to you again next monday!
 
Elder Humphreys

No comments: