Monday, April 11, 2011

Elder Humphreys is going LEJOS!

Mba´e la porte chera´a! (just practicing up on my Guarani. lol)

Phew. Had quite the week. Its funny because even as I write this I´m having a hard time not getting spanish mixed in here with my English. lol. Not even joking. Its funny what one week with a Latin comp can do to you. Fortunately Elder Villalón is really patient with me and my spanish. But it actually hasn{t been all that bad. At times I{ve had a hard time communicating what I want to say, but for the most part we havent had any problems getting along with the spanish. I think my spanish is probably 12X better after just this week. Its funny because Ive actually had a hard time just speaking in English with other missionaries though. Its cool too because E. Villalon knows a little english too so its helpful if I can{t find a word.

But as for the week. Went super well. Elder Villalon is(was) a great comp. He really knows how to work. Before I thought we were doing everything possible. Now I can see all the places where I have to improve. But its been super cool. We taught tonnes of lessons, found lots of new people to teach. Being latin, he{s got no shame at all and he talks to people all the time.  In buses, in the streets, inturrupts them from whatever they were doing, and gets them interested in hearing about the gospel. And on top of that, hes a hard worker, and not a goof like most of the other latins. Super cool. So needless to say, I learned a bunch, and am excited to keep up all the stuff I learned.

Not to say that the week was without struggles. Its hard to be better! lol. But its good. I like it. It was also hard to introduce the area to him when he has such a different way of working. I felt kinda useless in that regard at times. But we made it. I think he{s got a good idea of the area now and know the important places and people. Hes not the cook that Elder Call was either. Ive tried doing things like Elder Call did them and they didnt turn out as good. But I{ve been able to practice the cooking and so I{ll be a master chef in no time. lol. I think we ate something wierd in the streets too, but I can{t remember what it is.

But besides this I{m not really sure what to say. Its wierd becuase there weren{t really any fun stories. Maybe that shows how much we worked. Not that we weren{t working before!! I don{t want you all to think I was slacking before or anything. But he just really knows what he{s doing and Im just really happy becuase I just feel like I know so much better what I should and can do. All new missionaries get trained by really good missionaries like him now. I feel kinda ripped off. lol. Not that Elder Lee was bad, but every missionary has different levels of commitment and ability. Elder Villalón is like the ¨dad¨ I never ha. lol.

Had the time change this week. That threw me off. I keep waking up at 5:30. Lame. Its wierd too because its not dark when we get up which is nice, but its going to take some getting used to. The sun goes down at.. 7?... and then you get to work in the dark for 2 and a half more hours in the dark. Wierd.

Got a letter from Craig and the family. Say ¨THANKS!¨ for me. I really enjoyed it.

Read Alma 26 this week. Super legit. I enjoyed it a lot. lol. Kinda applies to the whole missionary work in Paraguay thing.

Today we´re going out to eat fish down by the river. Should be an adventure. Elder V loves fish (apparently there{s a lot in Chile). Its kinda scary if you think too much about it because I{ll probably get mercury poisioning or something because the fish are coming out of the Rio Paraguayo. Its pretty dirty. But its another experience I gotta try. lol. Wish me luck!

When{s Natalie{s baby comming? If you{re still looking for names, I think I{ll suggest Juan Carlos, Liz, Maria, Pedro, Romina, Diego, Amado/a, Ruth, Gustavo. Something like that. Not that those names have any special significance or anything... Its just wierd because it feels like I don{t get to hear those names anymore....lol. They seem really original.

But now for the part that you{ve all been waiting for.... CHANGES! I{m sure you{re about as excited to hear about them as we always are. lol. Turns out that its finally time for me to pack my bags and take some pictures because I{m off! Elder Villalon is staying to be zone leader with a newbie, and I{m headed lejos. If you haven{t gotten around to looking that word up yet it means... far. lol. My new area is called San Pedro. Not sure if thats what its called if you look it up on a map. But its about half way between Asuncion and Concepcion. Right out in the middle of nowhere! Agh! Scary, but fun stuff. Sounds like I{ll finally be in a ward where there isnt the leadership to run itself and I{ll be half in charge with Elder Chatalain (not sure how you spell that). As far as I know hes a good guy. From what I{ve heard. I{ve heard San Pedro is a really pretty place so I{m pretty excited. Should be an adventure. I{m sad to leave because I really love the people here, and I was kinda hoping to stay one more. But I know its all in Gods plan. He knows best! So next week I{ll be writing you from way out there. Thats supossing that there{s internet and that my bus doesn{t break down on the way. I{ll let you know. But thats a wrap. Love you all! Hope all is well! Have a great week!!!

Love Elder Humphreys

No comments: