Monday, April 18, 2011

Week 1 in San Pedro de Ycuamandyy​ú

Whew! Crasy week. Lots of change. Where to start....

Hope all is just swell back there at home. Heard about a bunch of tornadoes hittin down somewhere but not sure what the deal was with that. Hopefully everyones homes are still in one piece. I´m also glad to be alive here to talk to you as well. Had some river fish last monday. I think it was called Millanesa (basically means ¨breaded¨) de Surubí. Pretty good stuff at this place right by the river. Also, we got a couple of lunch visits here in San Pedro, but I haven´t gotten too sick yet. Besides that... went out for lunch today and I ordered.... Horse. Gross right? It actually didn´t taste all that bad. Came with an egg and a bunch of onions on top. That was the worst part. lol.

So Peter´s going to Chile then? How legit is that!? Sounds like Chile´s a pretty hoppin place. I´ll have to get some more details next time I talk with Elder Villalon. From what I´ve heard, I think they talk pretty fast there, but at least they speak spanish and not the half spanish half guarani they speak here. lol. But thanks for filling me in. I´ll have to make sure I hurry and write him back. Tell them that if they have any questions to just ask! Send an email or something. About anything too. I´m now an expert on shoes, hot climate, you name it. haha. Hope you´re all havin fun with the b-day plans. You wont be getting off as easy as you used to with mine.

But yeah. As for how the week went. Tuesday was pretty crasy. Ran around like crasy saying goodbyes and taking pictures with people. Didnt get to say goodbye to everyone that I wanted to, but oh well. I think I hit the most important people, and even got a couple of souvenirs. Turns out I´m still a painfully slow packer. lol. But yeah. It was sad to have to say goodbye to everyone. I had been thinking I would have been there a little bit longer, but turned out to be my time to leave. It appeared as though there were at least a couple of people that were genuinely sad to see me go though, so that made me happy.

Met up at the office wednesday. Turns out to get to our area and back is about 6.5 hours and there are only about 3 buses that leave a day. So the day was basically wasted sitting and waiting, and then traveling. The bus was pretty rough too. Didn´t have AC or anything. At least there were seats. And the view in someparts even reminded me of Alberta. But yeah. Turns out our area is pretty much the 2nd most isolated of any in the mission. We´re about 4 hours from the nearest set of misisonaries. So thats pretty legit. The area is really new and I´´m only the 7th missionary to ever come out here. So the are doesn´t have many people that have been members for more than a year now. We don´t even have a ward yet. Each week we have about 25 people that meet in a rented building. My comp runs the meeting and presides. So its pretty legit like that. But the members are awesome!They´ve had to sacrifice a lot, and they have really strong testimonies.

Our house is a dump. But we´re going to move at the beginning of next month :) We live in front of the highway, hav a gate for a front door, the bathroom is outside, the floor is made of dirt and bricks etc. But i´m not complaining. It did make me really homesick for my last area at first though.

But yeah. We áre in the poorest department ´(its like a province) in the country, but its not too bad here in town. Its just because the place is really spaced out and everyone that doesn´t live in town are farmers. Read a talk by Elder Christofferson in the Ensign this month about ´Always remembering Him´. It was really good. It talked about 3 things we need to do to keep our covenants to always remember christ. I cant remember them perfectly right now. But they were about always remembering that we´re going to be accountable for whatever we¨ve done and acting accordingly, having faith and turning to the lord in all our times of need.... and I cant remember the first point. But its one to look up for sure. I used it in the talk I had to give on sunday. Went pretty well. Crasily enough, it was the first time ive given a talk since beeing here. Thats what you get for being in big wards for so long. I played the piano and thats the first time theyve done that before I think. It was a disaster. Maybe we´ll go back to just listening to the hymns on CD but people want me to teach them piano too so that will be interesting. Donçt think I´m qualified for that.

Oh. Just for the record. I forgot to mention that me and Elder Villalon hitch-hiked to the church the other week. First time I´ve done that before so thankfully now its in the history books. Fortunately the driver was legit and not a serial killer or something.

Anyways. Thats how it is. Sounds like the last bunch of misisonaries here have been a bunch of goofs and slackers, and so we got a lot of work ahead of us. But thats cool with us. Elder Chatelain is a good guy and I´m happy to be able to work with him. Hes willing to work, and hopefully well be able to have some good success in this change.

But thats it. Out of time. Love you lots. Theres going to be lots of partying going down this week for the semana santa aka Easter week activities. So I´ll let you know how that goes. Hope you all have a fabulous easter get together without me. I cleaned out the freezer this week and all the ice and snow reminded me of home. Is it warming up yet? Its stillpretty hot here. But yeah. Love you lots! Have a happy easter´! Bye!

Love, Elder Humphreys

PS If you´re ever sending a package any time soon, do you think you could throw in a skipping rope. Like a nice one, not just a plastic kids one. I´ve been having a hard time gettin my hands on a new one and the one I got from Elder Lee broke. Thanks. Let me know what ya do.

No comments: