Monday, April 25, 2011

Elder Humphreys is getting OLD

I accidently checked the other day... I can't believe I'm the only one that noticed. But today marks Elder Humphreys' 1/3rd mark on the mission. Wierd. But we're not going to dwell on that. Because its just a number. And it just hurts my brain to think about.,.. I feel like I just checked into the MTC yesterday....

 You can tell my sisters that I'll always reply if I get anything. Something seems to be broken somewhere. I thought it was just that nobody liked writting me...lol. As for grandma and grandpa... I haven't gotten anything for a while now. But its been 3 weeks since the mail got delivered so I'll have to tell you next week. And I think there area a couple that I got a little while back but am still writting back to. I have lots of bus riding time now so its great. Every week I have time with nothing to do so I just study, read, write a letter or two, and maybe get a short nap or two.

As for the security in the house we're just peachy. Its a good strong gate. But we're glad to be moving. It turns out that the owner of the house is kinda crasy and I'm glad that I won't have to deal with her anymore. Oh. And as far as sending pictures goes. Lots of people just buy SD cards. They aren't too expensive. Then just carry or mail them. I dunno. With the new picture taking rule I don't have tonnes myself. :( Gotta do something about that.


But as for this week. Its depressing to say but it turns out I've been living a lie....lol. Apparently the horse wasn't really horse. It was about as much of a horse as is horse radish. Some silly spanish play on words. Bife a Caballo, not Bife DE Caballo. LAME. I'm so embarrassed....haha. I did drink real cow milk this week though. It was pretty gross. Had like curds or whatever they're called floating in it. The milk situation in this country is a mess. I'm excited for a glass of "real" milk one day in the future back at home.


We talked with this really interesting guy this week. He's the friend of a member and he came to church this week and last week. Don't know if I mentioned him last week or not. Basically he used to be a preacher for some baptist church or something for a really long time. Also went to jail for a bit (not exactly sure why), but now he really wants to turn his life around. Claims to already know that the Book of Mormon is true, and has been preaching from it for the past 15 years now. Appears to know everything really well and is really excited to be baptized. So thats kinda interesting. Seems too good to be true. But we're teaching him anyways and we'll see what happens. Fortunately he has to have an interview with president for having gone to jail before. So hopefully president can figure him out. He seems just a LITTLE bit sketchy. Maybe he's just an answer to our prayers though. We'll see.


As far as Easter went, it was interesting here. People in this town are really catholic. Even more than the rest of the country. And so they take this "Holy week" pretty seriously.  It made work wierd for us because there were a lot of people around, but they were all visiting family, or just wanted to enjoy their week off rather than talk. It seemed like basically all of our investigators were out of town visiting their parents or something like that. Oh well. Hopefully next weeks more successful... Had some "ham" for easter dinner, but it was just really fatty pig leg that they BBQ'd. But beggers can't be choosers! We have a lot more people feeding us now which is nice, but the stomach doesn't handle food from poor members as well as the food we used to make at home. But the lunch visits are nice because you don't have to make it, and you get to spend more time with the members. So hopefully there are a lot more in the future!


Saturday the second councillor from the nearest ward (4 hours aways) came out and did interviews with all the members. That was super good. Its tricky because we run the ward, but we don't really do interviews like that. So its good to help people realize where they can improve. Stuff like that. Also the members are going to the temple this week. So we've had to teach like crasy to get them ready. Nobody in town has been before so they have no idea how it is. We've managed to help them with their doubts and problems, and get them all stoked to go and do baptisms. There are even one or two of them that might be going through to do an endowment session and so crasily enough I'VE been teaching temple prep. And to think that less than a year ago I was in the same spot as them. But its been awesome. I love talking about the temple (just the parts your allowed to talk about of course :). I think they love it too. There have been some missionaries in the past here that like to just go and hang out with people. Thats all fun and stuff, but its really nice to actually do something for the people and watch them progress in the gospel. Yah missionary work!


Heard there were some big earthquakes in the states this week or something? Is it just me or is the world falling apart? lol. I can't remember there ever having been so many problems in just one year. Ironically enough I just taught the Gospel Principles class on the signs of the second comming. Fun stuff.


As for success, I think we're finally going to see another baptism this week! Yay. Clotilde and her son Adrian look pretty set to go. I wasn't here when they found them, but they're great people and I think they'll be good and ready. So hopefully all the prayers go through and nothing gets in the way at the last second.


Just a small request. Sometimes there is a little bit of time at the church or at the house with nothing to do. I was thinking that trying to learn a little song on the piano might be good, and something besides just a regular hymn. Theres a classical piece that I got in my music and I think mom always used to play it and so I really like it. Doesn't sound toooo hard. So maybe you could just scan it in and I could print it out? Its called "Sonata #8 in C Minor, Op. 13 "Pathétique"" by Beethoven. I think its in that really old book of Beethoven thats falling apart. If you could that'd be great.


But that was the week. Went fairly descently. This coming week should be pretty good. Planning on teaching a lot of temple prep, driving 4 ours out and then 4 hours back for two hours worth of meetings with the district and zone leaders, having a baptism, moving houses, being able to see some of the members leave for the temple, then Marissas going to get old, I might get to go to the temple AGAIN (lucky me!), and we have interviews and zone conference too. Should be a blast. Not to mention that mothers day is coming up. Not too long and we'll be chatting by phone. Wierd! But thats how it goes. Starting out part 2 of 3. Hope it goes swell!


Anyways. Love you lots! Have a good week!


Elder Humphreys

No comments: