Monday, May 21, 2012

Saltos - Week 10

Heeeey. Hows it going everybody? Thanks for the good weekly update. Glad that all is going well back at home. I´d say the only thing that was too bad about the letter was that it apears as though the family countdown has started... that means that my time is growing close. Not a fun thought... Glad to hear that things are working themselves out with the flights though. Hopefully everything keeps going well with that! Glad you´re all having a good time though. That the trips and weddings (wierd) went along well as usual. What fun.
As for this week. It went quite well. I am unfortunately a little bit less prepared to write my letter this week, but we´ll see how it goes. I think I´ll be able to remember most of it...
Last monday we had a blast. After our district meeting, all of the elders from the two districts closest to here (ours, and the one near by), got changed and we went and rented out an artificial turf field to play soccer on. It was kind of expensive, but with 9 guys covering the price it wasn´t too bad. Anyways, we played our gutts out for an hour and a half. It was a blast. I realized how much I missed the soccer playing days of the office. I was kind of rusty, and even fatter than I used to be. But I did manage to make a couple really sick goals and a handful of great plays. So that was fun. We were honestly sore though for the next 3 or 4 days. Thats what happens when you have great mission bodies like ours. haha. That afternoon I stuck my poor newbie companion on a bus all by himself to go off and do a division. Poor guy. Thankfully he had the phone and managed to get along all right. That meant that for the next day and a half I was on a division as well. Always fun to be with the zone leader. On one hand, hes a great missionary and its fun to be with him. On the other hand you get that feeling like your being judged all day. Oh well. Things went swell. The only bad part being when one of our main investigators just decided to hide from us. But I´m kind of used to that by now so oh well. We found some really cool people who should hopefully progress in the future.
Other fun news that day was that special changes hit our district. Fortunately me and my comp are pretty locked in with the whole training project that we do. The only way we´ll be effected by changes will be if I get demoted for doing something super dumb. So no worries there. However Elder Thomson got the change out. Thats kind of a bummer. He was the last of the original Saltos crew that was here when I showed up. Really good guy. That lead to a little bit of a mess. First him and his comp went in to the office. Then it turned out that his old comp (elder Schmidt) has yet to have a new comp. So, we had to go pick him up, and then we spent a day in a trio. Always fun like that. Even better when you have 2 areas that you have to cover. So we planned everything out to try and make sure that everyone that needed a visit got one. After one kind of crasy rushed day, we got a call that said that he´d be getting a local companion. So now we´re back to 4. The local Elder should be with us for about 3 weeks until he gets his visa to Argentina, or at least until changes.
As for that... the week was pretty normal. We did our visits. Tried our best to help others come unto Christ. Rewarding as always. Nobody came to ward night. That was kind of a bummer. Tried to do some visits with some of the members... the majority fell through on us. Oh well. We just keep doing what we can.
Friday I had a fun moment. Thursday my companion was telling me how at his house he has an entire room dedicated to art and deep thinking. Obviously being the person I am, I couldn´t just let that go -  I had to ask him all sorts of questions about it. I was liking the idea a lot until I found out that all 25 pieces or so of art are of splash painting. I thought that that was humorous. It turns out that I really just don´t have a good understanding though. He explained to me the feeling that can be found and understood from splash art. I was still kind of skeptical. So Friday we continued on the theme. He told me to come to Italy with him and he´d show me all about it. I told him that I didn´t have that kind of money. He told me that he would take me there with him, as long as I promised to have an open mind and try and feel the beauty of the art. So its a deal. Not sure when the trip will be but its set. We have a deal. He even sign the place in my planner where I made the note. haha. So thats how it goes. I´m pretty excited. It sounds like the suit rentals for the actual art show might get a little pricey, but oh well. Its a sacrifice that I´m willing to make.
But yeah. Thats life here. We´re actually working with quite a few really cool investigators right now. This week was kind of a bummer because they all seemed to have really good excuses for not going to church, but I´m hoping to continue to see progression. Doing what we can and working to do our best. Having a blast. My mind keeps betraying me by reminding me about how little time I have left, and my body keeps trying to tell me that I´m tired and that I should just rest. But my heart is still totally here in the work. I really love working here and doing this work. Sometimes its hard, tiring, even disapointing at times. But the moments where you see that you´ve made a diference in somebodies life makes it worth it. I really love the people here. Sometimes the culture and just the way things are, are humorous or even quite backwards. But the people themselves are just great. I really am just so thanful for the oportunity to be here and serve. I´ve honestly learned so much in just the last handful of months. Lots of change. Lots of progresion. Lots of room to go. Theres nothing that I´d rather do. I love you all and thank you so much for your support. You´ll have to forgive me for not staying in touch as well as I should have, or not always sharing all of my true feelings for this work. But I really do know that this is the Lords work and I love being a part of it. Love you all, and hope you have a great week. Work hard, play hard, and don´t forget to be great missionaries!
Chau!
Elder Humphreys

No comments: