Monday, May 14, 2012

Saltos - Week 9

Hey. Long time no write. Or talk. Hopefully I make it through this letter because the lady just sprayed all of these toxic fumes under my desk to try and kill all of the mosquitos. I´ll probably die a year earlier than I was supposed to, but oh well. Anyways, I have to be quick because my comp has to go catch a bus for the division that we are doing. Fortunately I already told you all of the more exciting things that happened this week on the phone.

I just showed my companion our Mamma Mia vid. Now he knows how goofy we really are. haha. I think he probably thinks less of me for it, but oh well. It makes me proud every time that I watch it. Good times.

Anyways. We had a pretty good week here in Salto del Guaira. I´m having fun. We´re working hard. All the studies are kind of throwing me off still and I´m having a hard time keeping up with everything we need to do. Oh well. Last week the recent converts and less active members were gave us a really hard time because we had neglected to visit them. I tried to explain to them the best that I could that we didn´t forget them. But that with the conference and trying really hard to help people progress and get baptized there just hasn´t been enough time. I think most of them understood. Its still rough though because I´ve promised them all that I would do my best to visit them AT LEAST once a week. Not going to lie, I´m kind of freaking out as I try and keep up with the needs of all of the people that we know. But oh well. We´re doing our best and thats what really matters. We´ll do what we can and I´m sure that the Lord will do the rest.

We had some really good days and some trickier days this week. We had some guy demand that we visited him at a certain time and place last Sunday. So we went to meet him on Tuesday like we had planned, and after having walked as fast as we could across the entire city almost, we showed up just in time to find out that he wasn´t home. Apparently he had forgotten. Ugh. But oh well.

Fun fact. You went to McDonalds in Japan right? No promises, but theres a chance that you visited one that is owned by Brother Svedin, dad of my comp. I´m sure there are lots in Japan, so it probably wasn´t. But you never know. If only he owned a few in Canada....

Wednesday morning we moved all of our stuff. Fortunately it was´t a very far move and so we managed to get everything done in the morning. That was nice. It did kind of use up a lot of our day but oh well. Thats how it goes. I think we are significantly more focused now which is really nice. Its not like we were really wasting tons of time before, but its just tricky sometimes when the one companionship is getting ready to leave in the middle of your study time. Conversations ALWAYS come up. So now its a little less fun, a little bit of a smaller space, and whatnot, but I think it was a good move. Its not like we don´t see each other anyways. We eat lunch together, we do service together, we go to church together. P-day together. Thankfully they are really good guys. Elder Thompson and Elder Schmidt. Love them. Good district.

Thursday I started ready the book of mormon again in Spanish. We´re doing a ready challenge with some of the youth. We´re taking notes on what we read and comparing at the end of the week. My comps idea. Good kid. Anyways, my favorite part so far has just been the testimony of Joseph Smith. The first time I read it in Spanish it was HARD. He uses a lot of tricky words. lol. So it was really fun this time to see how much my spanish has really improved. I just looked up a few words to be sure of their meaning. Fun to see how much I´ve really learned. I thought I hadn´t learned all that much in the last year or so, but it looks like I was wrong.

Thursday we also got to eat ¨Chura¨ (cow insides) again for lunch. That was a fun experience for my comp. lol. Everyone was being babies and so I had to eat the most. Good thing I´m kind of used to it now. I´m not going to lie though... it was still pretty bad this time. I think it was the large intestines that were the worst if I decifered what it was right. The small intestine was the best followed by the stomach. Still something I´ll be happy to be without in the future. I´m actually kind of afraid though that North American food is going to give me a hard time though when I get home... we´ll see.

Friday was another rougher day. Oh well. There was a huge rainstorm though so that was fun. Thankfully there are lots of good days to make up for the days that don´t go right. :)

Saturday we got told that we needed to go and visit a reference by a member. We went and taught him and his wife. They are great and made it to church on Sunday. Younger family. So that was fun. Hopefully they can keep progressing. My comp also talked to his family. I´m glad I didn´t have to worry about if our vid was working and that you didn´t all stare at me for the 40 minutes. I dunno. Still not my idea of fun. lol. I did really love talking though. I like how we´re better at knowing what to talk about than the first phone call. Weird to think that its the last one. AS for dad coming - I´m pretty sure that I definately would like you to come. Hope its not too much of a hassel. I´m really excited to be able to go and visit all of my old friends. Not sure why I even hesitated over the phone in the first place. Let me know if its going to be too big of a deal though.

We had Sunday lunch with a less active family. That was nice. They are kind of goofy but I really like them. Sad to see that the last Elders didn´t really give them a chance. We might even be able to get a baptism with them since one of the kids moved back from Asuncion so thats fun.

Had another really good lesson with a newer investigator yesterday. Fun we are finally starting to meet a bunch of new people that look like they really might continue progressing. Hopefully they keep showing such promise. We´re doing our best. Keep praying for us!

Anyways, gotta catch my comps bus. Thanks for everything you do. I love you lots! Have a great week!!

Love,

Elder Humphreys

No comments: